1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help - Year 3 literacy - information texts

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mercutio672, Apr 15, 2011.

1. mercutio672

mercutio672 New commenter

Hi,
    I'm a PGCE student trying to plan for this unit. The topic is going to be rainforests and I was wondering if anyone had combined the two already or had any advice about how to organise it.
    Any help much appreciated!

2. mercutio672

mercutio672 New commenter

Hi,
    I'm a PGCE student trying to plan for this unit. The topic is going to be rainforests and I was wondering if anyone had combined the two already or had any advice about how to organise it.
    Any help much appreciated!

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

What about putting the children into groups and producing a magazine about the Rainforest? They could organise themselves and decide who was editor, proof reader etc. They could design front and back covers which could be laminated and the whole thing spiral bound. If there is time they could insert extra activities like wordsearches, crosswords and quizzes. They could think of imaginative names for their magazine. If you have easy access to computers then some or all of it could be done on the computer. Have lots of Information books for them to look at to see what the usual layout is - pictures, paragraphs, bullet points, text boxes, Did you know? boxes etc.
    Encourage lots of research and teach how to précis text that they may see in a book/on the screen - don't accept cut and paste or straight copying.
    Good luck!

4. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

5. Hi
    I have taught this unit before with a year 3 class using the Romans as a topic and what I did was called a 'Book Blitz.'
    I split the children into different groups, i wouldnt really put more than 4 or 5 in a group. Then on each of the tables I put different information texts about the Romans. The children were then given topics about the Romans e.g. food, clothes etc. (If you were doing rainforests you could do like animals etc) Then i gave the children 10/15 minutes worth of 'book blitzing' where they had to write down as much info as they could about their topic. This was good for improving note taking skills.
    Then once they have collected this information I got them to design and make posters but then they could do what ever you wanted. It could then link to the magazine idea.
    Hope this helps!
    P.S. Before this i spent a couple of lessons doing index, glossary, contents etc, so they knew how to find the information quickly! The children loved the Book Blitz though.

6. Hi,

I really like your plan for teaching information texts. I am currently on teaching practice and will be teaching this unit. Would it be possible for you to email me your planning for this unit?

7. Hi Kayleigh2201,

I love this idea as I too am doing Romans this term. I know it was a few years since you posted this reply but was wondering if you still had your plans and if you would mind sharing them? I'm an NQT and getting a little overwhelmed with the planning!!

Many Thanks

Louise

8. I agree, these are great ideas thanks. I'm also doing Romans and non chronological reports for my final teaching practice starting next week.