1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HELP! Year 3 interview lesson ideas

Discussion in 'Primary' started by MrsLouBLou, Apr 17, 2011.

1. After 2 years of looking for a new post I finally have an interview. I got the letter yesterday for an interview on Wednesday (3 days prep!!) My school is currently on Easter holidays and I can't get hold of anyone to run ideas with. So I am hoping there is someone lovely out there who can help me! I have spent the day trawling google for ideas but to no avail.

I need to teach a 30 minutes lesson on basic skills in year 3. I have absolutely no idea where to start. The focus is to be either Literacy or Numeracy. I have read the schools ofsted report and their biggest weaknesses were speaking and listening. I had thought about doing some sort of retelling acitivity but I have no idea. I haven't taught year 3 before and I am currently teaching year 5.

I know that if I were teaching basic skills I would focus on sentence building but again don't know where to start. I am beginning to panic as I only have 2 days left to prepare this.

The school is 200 miles from where I currently work (I moved away for a job and have since had a daughter and really need to move closer to my family) and as such has a very different cohort of children I currently teach.

I am open to any ideas!

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I'd tell them a fairly simple short story and do some retelling activities so they know the story pretty well. Then move on to some spelling of some words in the story (use whiteboards in pairs) and then some sentences punctuated corrected (again in pairs on whiteboards). I'd choose the spellings and sentences carefully to include some teaching points about letter blends and more advanced punctuation.

Stay calm, be glad you are on holidays so you have time to plan. And be thankful you live and work in the age of the internet!

Good Luck!

3. inq

inq

A couple of not totally coherent ideas but could be starting points.
    1. In pairs/ threes start with a a simple sentence e.g. This is a cat. Then each adds a word at a time to make a more interesting sentence so
    This is a cat.
    This is a big cat.
    This is a big, white cat.
    This is a big, white cat sleeping.
    etc
    Write their final sentence with correct punctuation.
    How long can they get the sentence with it still making sense and without it needing to be 2 sentences?
    Write the sentences on the white board, which is best? why? What punctuation is needed?
    The LO could be along the line of improving a sentence.
    2. Give a simple scenario, e.g. you have broken something in pairs 1 is the person who has broken the object the 2nd person is mum - how does the conversation go, repeat with 2nd person being the head teacher/ friend/ visitor/ the Queen so they can see how they change how they speak according to who the audience is.

4. not wishing to be harsh but if you share your suggested ideas for improvement on here id be happier, purely asking others for help from scratch with an interview lesson doesnt fill me with confidence

5. char2505

char2505 New commenter

I think its all about twhat you feel most confident doing. In your situation, I'd probably do a problems solving numeracy activity, focussing on multiplication or division. Good luck x.

6. char2505

char2505 New commenter

Oh dear, I almost called you something very rude indeed in word six. Also, 'it's' not 'its'!

7. I don't disagree with you. As I said I was looking to do something speaking and listening based. This was an area the school needed to improve on based on their recent ofsted report.

I have had a day to sit down and think about this now. I am looking to move 200 miles for this job, closer to my family and had spent yesterday travelling.

Anyway, my plan is to focus on story settings, I was thinking back to a previous year class I taught and how difficult they found identifying adjectives in a text.

My plan first of all is to get the children warmed up by writing as many adjectives they can think of that describe a witch or a wizard and go through them.

Then I am going to read through with them the scene in Harry Potter that describes the great hall. Its only a short piece of text. I thought i would get the children to find the adjectives in the text.

As a "main" activity I thought I would get the children to draw a picture of the great hall using the information. As I don't know the children I can't differentiate, but I will identify as I am going around the room (and hopefully from the children identifing the adjectives earlier) and get those that strike me as higher ability to annotate their drawing using their own descriptions.
    As its only 30 mins, I will get the children to show their pictures as a plenary.

How does this sound to anyone out there?

8. inq

inq

I work in a church school and our old head would not let us do anything to do with witches/ wizards and my last (church) school wouldn't let us use Harry Potter as a text. I'm sure it will be fine but if the interview is at a church school you might want to check.

As a plenary rather than just showing their pictures can you get all of the children to walk round and look at each others and say which they think is best and why?

9. Its a county primary school

Oh and thanks for the plenary idea.

10. inq

inq

Also meant to say good luck!

11. I'm not in a church school but we have numerous classes in the school where anything witch/wizard/myth based has to be removed from the classrooms due to the children in those classes.

12. Id double check with school the witch wizard theme as it is frowned upon in range of settings. lot depends on Ht or the make up of population. the same activities could be done with different texts.

My plan first of all is to get the children warmed up by writing as many adjectives they can think of that describe a witch or a wizard and go through them.Will you be writing these up somewhere?

Then I am going to read through with them the scene in Harry Potter that describes the great hall. Its only a short piece of text. I thought i would get the children to find the adjectives in the text. Will they have copies of the text to highlight will they be doing this as you read?

As a "main" activity I thought I would get the children to draw a picture of the great hall using the information. As I don't know the children I can't differentiate, but I will identify as I am going around the room (and hopefully from the children identifing the adjectives earlier) and get those that strike me as higher ability to annotate their drawing using their own descriptions.- my main concern re this is that as you dont know the children what if you have those who are down on themselves about ability to draw or those who take forever getting detail done. Wonder whether you might be better giving a picture of scene and asking them to write adjectives and descriptive phrases around it. Or maybe they could have a very bland passage and using ideas from adjective brainstorm and descriptive passage uplevel it. If ask ability range you could give LA shorter passage to start with. Give it in large print in centre of a3 sheet to put notes around
    As its only 30 mins, I will get the children to show their pictures as a plenary.- Think the plenary needs work its a key part of a lesson and this is weak. Id go for clear success criteria at start and get them to self or peer assess against these and then for partners write on a wish and star sheet two things they got right and one they could improve (and this shouldnt be a drawing skill)

13. I am struggling with text ideas. The nightmare of getting this interview is that I recieved notification via email. I am away visiting family and have nothing from school with me. Thankfully I have been able to get some old planning from my email (that I have emailed to work) for ideas. I have no access to resources and have even had to go out and buy clothes for the interview. I didn't think they would appreciate me turning up in jeans! I have no books as all my childrens books are in school and I am not sure "Thats not my fairy" is the type of basic skills book they are looking for,

Thank you bluerose for your advice. I am going to make the changes you have suggested.
    I have resigned myself that I am not going to get this job as I am so under prepared.

14. was it today? did it go ok?