1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help! Year 2, Stories with familiar settings, Pirates

Discussion in 'Primary' started by csmith71, Aug 27, 2011.

1. Hi everyone,

I wonder is any of you out there can help me, I have just moved from KS2 to Year 2 class and I believe I have to start with NU1 - Stories with familiar settings. My overall topic with terms is Pirates and I cant find any lesson plans or anything that can link to Pirates for this unit. Is there anyone that can help???

Much appreciated

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Errrm I'm not sure if I am being daft here, but how can you link 'familiar settings' to 'pirates'? I imagine your children do not find life on the open sea in any way familiar, and have no idea about the dangers of piracy.

A pirate in a familiar setting to your children isn't really going to work out is it?

4. Exactly!! Thats my problem, I have been told to use Pirates and that unit of work which is why Im asking if anyone has any ideas or lesson plans, All I can think of is Night Pirates, or Pirate School but I havent read this book

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Sometimes subjects just don't fit and you have to teach the lesson discretely rather than make tenuous links that don't really work.
    Personally I would either pick a different unit that fits with the topic or use a a book that fits the unit but not the topic.

6. Yes, thats what I am thinking, I have spent 2 days trying to get a decent link but it just wont work. Just wondering what would be a better unit. Can I teach narrative in any order? I have read not but I dont think I have any choice, I dont really want to start with Non Fiction..hmmmm

7. Hi
    I'm doing pirates and under the sea in y2 this term and like you starting with stories with familier settings but using the hamilton trust stuff, it doesn't link to pirates but i dont see that as a problem, however hamilton does go on to look at explanations using books about sharks so that fits into under the sea.

8. What about captain flynn books or the night pirates? Both are set in familiar settings.

9. lindsay84

lindsay84 New commenter

Hi
    Last term our KS1 topic was under and over the sea (sea life/ pirates). I have literacy planning that I did for stories about fantasy worlds for pirates and under the sea. I also have recount linked with pirates. Please put up your email if you would like a copy of the planning.

10. that would be great yes, its christine.smith@gmx.us

11. Hi is that the one about My parents make me laugh, where they go to the zoo. I used that last year! I have just found something on this site which I think looks pretty good but not looked at in loads of detail yet... Ill copy you the link if that helps at all.. Do you want a copy of my term plan for linking cross curricular or any other ideas..

Thanks so much for responding!!!
    Christine

12. https://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/Pirate-stories-Y2-3-3-week-block-6057546/

see if that opens for you.. I have managed to get a few resources and powerpoints etc from sites. If you want I can email them to you and share resources...

13. Not sure how relevant they would be for your class as I used them at the end of year 2, but you could look at 'The Man Whose Mother was a Pirate' or 'The Indoor Pirates'. The latter is a great book about pirates who don't like living at sea so live in a house instead. They have to do 'piratey' things- such as look for treasure- but on land. Fairly feeble links but if you have to use this module......

14. lindsay84

lindsay84 New commenter

All medium term planning for the 'under and over the sea' is now on resources. I have also added the plans for the literacy unit fantasy worlds/settings based on pirates and another on under the sea including resources. Hope this is helpful.

15. HiThis sounds perfect for what i am looking for could i please have a copy of these resources.

16. This sounds perfect for what i am looking for could i please have a copy of these resources :)