1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help! Year 2 Shared writing

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sunshine84, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Hi!
    I wonder if anyone can give me some advice?
    I have an interview next week where I have to teach shared writing to a Year 2 class for 20 - 30mins. I am a student teacher at the moment and this an an area I have very little experience with.
    I wondered if anyone could give me any ideas, even just as a starting point! It needs to meet a learning objective for Narrative.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Hi!
    I wonder if anyone can give me some advice?
    I have an interview next week where I have to teach shared writing to a Year 2 class for 20 - 30mins. I am a student teacher at the moment and this an an area I have very little experience with.
    I wondered if anyone could give me any ideas, even just as a starting point! It needs to meet a learning objective for Narrative.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

3. In my class I have 50% special needs and they can all write adjectives of some sort. My lower ability often just write colour adjectives. They should definately be using these in there writing.

About sitting on the carpet too long...... that is a tricky one. Maybe you could move them to their tables whilst you are doing the guided writing part. Then you could actually have the whiteboards and pens already on their tables. It depends on what type/size of board you have to write on and whether they would be able to see what you are doing.You could also have a variety of pictures on their desks of the character you have chosen.
    Good luck

4. Hello!
    I also have an interview next week in which I have to do the same as you! I know the school interviewed some people last week too - I just want to make sure I don't end up teaching the same lesson to the same class! The chances are minimal - but it's bound to happen to me! Was your interview in Southampton? My emergency plan B would be to use settings instead of characters! (any additional advice from anyone would be gratefully received!)
    Hope your interview went well (even if it is the same school!) I am fairly sure they are after an NQT anyway! Good Luck!

5. AlongForTheRide

AlongForTheRide New commenter

Describing a character would be good, but have you thought about using a short film clip rather than a book? I used the e xtras Dvd from Wallace and Gromit 'The curse of the were-rabbit'. The extra dvd has 'cracking contraptions' on it and the 2 minute films 'Snoozatron' and 'Bullyproof vest' are excellent for describing what characters look like, their feelings and actions. My year 2's wrote some amazing stuff after watching this. If you freeze the film at points that show how characters feel, or have a good view of what the character looks like, you can have children list useful adjectives as a short task. Then you can model how to use these in a sentence or two. I played short parts of the film again to help write a good sentence. We have been trying to start sentences in different ways by sometimes starting with a connective, -ing word, or -ly word so some sentences my children wrote were:
    Bouncing up and down, Gromit folded his arms and sighed as he felt very fed up now.
    Sleepily Gromit trudged downstairs whilst he zipped up his sheep suit, but he always did what Wallace asked.
    As soon as the alarm sounded Gromit got up to do as Wallace asked. He was a well behaved dog and always did as he was asked.
    The real advantage is you will definitely have the children's attention as my class are very 'bubbly' but sit in silence if I use a dvd.

6. Yes it was a school in southampton! My lesson went well and I was invited to the second round which would be this week but I decided the school wasn't for me (i hadn't visited it before interview) so if you want heads up on what might happen let me know!

7. What did you end up doing in the end sunshine?
    They seem to want blood for jobs now- round 2 haha

8. Hi there,
    I am doing the same just a couple of years later. Do you still have your resources and would not mind sharing?
    If so, I would be grateful.
    Regards Leonas

9. Can I ask you what was your learning objective for the session? I'm not sure what to put as my learning objective for a shared writing session next week, its for a interview so want to double check that it is clear enough for the intention!
    Thanks