1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help! Y1 maths interview

Discussion in 'Primary' started by acaltieri, May 18, 2011.

1. Hello-I have been invited for a Y1 interview, and my task is do to a 20 min maths activity with 30 Y1 children (plus 1 TA).
    I was thinking of focussing on finding halves of different shapes.
    I thought that I could have 5 mins input-recapping different shapes, demonstrating fining half of a square ie there is more than 1 way to find half, and then for the children to find half of other shapes.
    I was planning on putting 5 different shapes in different colours on the table, and challenging children to find half of at least 3 shapes. This would challege HAPS to find 3 plus.
    The plenary would then be 5 mins discussing what children had done and found out, with children showing what they had done.
    If anyone has any thoughts of feedback I would be so grateful, as feeling ever so slightly frazzled with this to do plus a mountain of planning and evluations still to do!

Thank you!

2. Hello-I have been invited for a Y1 interview, and my task is do to a 20 min maths activity with 30 Y1 children (plus 1 TA).
    I was thinking of focussing on finding halves of different shapes.
    I thought that I could have 5 mins input-recapping different shapes, demonstrating fining half of a square ie there is more than 1 way to find half, and then for the children to find half of other shapes.
    I was planning on putting 5 different shapes in different colours on the table, and challenging children to find half of at least 3 shapes. This would challege HAPS to find 3 plus.
    The plenary would then be 5 mins discussing what children had done and found out, with children showing what they had done.
    If anyone has any thoughts of feedback I would be so grateful, as feeling ever so slightly frazzled with this to do plus a mountain of planning and evluations still to do!

Thank you!

3. inq

inq

All of mine (apart from maybe 2 still on P7) would do this activity very easilyand in far less than 10 minutes.
    I may be misunderstanding the task, are they folding paper shapes or drawing round and drawing lines?
    They do like doing halves and shape work rather than calculations.

4. Decide on a clear learning objective.
    When I was in year 1 my class (way below national average) found things like this very simple.