1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HELP WTH CAPACITY - Y1

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by tinker125, May 16, 2007.

1. Has anybody got any really good ideas for teaching Capacity to Year 1? The unit plan is 3 days but I'm stretching it over 5.

Tomorrow I'd planned to introduce the concept of litres as a standard measurement - take in bottles and containters of varying sizes, and get the children to have a go at sorting them into "1 litre", "more than 1 litre" and "less than 1 litre". However, I don't think there is enough differentiation here, the lower ability group may get silly and the highers might finish early. Any ideas???

Thank you very much in advance - final placement and interviews all taking their toll - got a migraine!

Thanks again. x

2. Has anybody got any really good ideas for teaching Capacity to Year 1? The unit plan is 3 days but I'm stretching it over 5.

Tomorrow I'd planned to introduce the concept of litres as a standard measurement - take in bottles and containters of varying sizes, and get the children to have a go at sorting them into "1 litre", "more than 1 litre" and "less than 1 litre". However, I don't think there is enough differentiation here, the lower ability group may get silly and the highers might finish early. Any ideas???

Thank you very much in advance - final placement and interviews all taking their toll - got a migraine!

Thanks again. x

3. how about getting them to make a cocktail out of different fizzy drinks and then they can all have a taste? Apple aid, cherry aid, orange aid, lemonade, coke etc.

4. Thanks, that sounds really fun!!!! Was thinking of that but haven't had chance to send letters home asking for any allergy advice etc.

Thanks very much - good idea! x

5. I wouldn't use fizzy drinks, not very healthy! Maybe coloured water instead?

The Hamilton Trust have some lessons on Capacity - Week 4, Thursday and Friday's lessons :)

http://www.hamilton-trust.org.uk/previous/plansection.asp...

(if that link doesn't work, just do a search for Summer 1st plans for numeracy)

Hope that helps!

Emma
    x

6. Oh god, wheres the fun in coloured water? I did this lesson with the kids and they loved it. They only have a little taste of the cocktail, so I dont think it will do them any harm.

7. YOu could do it with fruit juice or something - bit healthier?

I used rice (tons of it) to get them to estimate- gave them small containers (yoghurt pots) and got them to estimate how many to fill larger containers. Lots of vacuuming but they had fun and I think learnt lots. I was amazed by how wide of the mark some of the estimation was so I would really work on that.

Getting them to fill larger bottles from smaller bottles too, if you can stand the wet floor.

There are a few resources in the bank too if you search - hth.

8. Hey tinker,

I've just taught capacity/volume to year 2, you wild obv need to adjust a bit but here is what I did this week:

1: whole class teaching around a cafe - diff sized drinks. Which of the containers (ie. cup for cup of tea, glass for OJ) do we think has greatest capacity? Estimate the order from looking at them. Then check, discuss that height might not necessarily mean biggest capactiy. Children did same activity with water and bottles/containers.

2: Explain litres/millilitres. Shopping bag of products - sort objects measured in ml/l from those not. Then did estimating more/less than 1 litre activity as you described.

3: Looking at scale on measuring jug. Half of 1000ml etc. (can imagine too much for yr 1)

4: Making class milkshakes. I demonstrated cocktail bar as others have mentioned, they made milkshake from milk and raspberry syrup. I just asked their regular teacher if they had any allergies to milk.They loved this, really got excited about measuring out and of course the drinking!

Good luck,
    JH

9. I'm also trying to do this. I wanted to set up a carosel of activities (about 3) that they can do, 1 per day. I can get my imagination past estimating and measuring. (some fab ideas here but we're not allowed water in the classroom :( )

Any help would be great

10. Hello
    I did this last week, I got the lower ability to measure different capacities using weighing scales. Got to directly compare two containers labelled A and B and then the SSA wrote down their results on a whiteboard, then they compared B and C, they did some estimating as well. They used water, made a mess but had a good time.

I did the same activity you are doing with my higher group although they were a bit harder to manage with the amounts of water they were using so make sure they know how to work in a group together.

To be honest, get some containers out with water and let them have a good time in the first couple of lessons and then make it more specific in the last two lessons.

Oh another idea which I didn't do was build lego containers that are big enough to hold say 10 marbles, its good because children will make big containers and you can get them to modify them until the marbles fill the containers.
    Hope that helps

11. Thank you for recommending this website! I'm a student teacher and often don't know where to start when it comes to planning, this website really helps!

Thanks again,
    Sophie