1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help! Wrong fuel in car :-/

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon2980, Feb 3, 2012.

1. *copious sweary words*
    Have never done this before, but in a moment of befuddlement I inadvertently put a small amount (2.6 litres) of unleaded fuel into my diesel car this evening. The tank was almost empty at the time.
    Having realised my mistake, I went on to fill the tank to the brim (50.28 litres) with diesel and hoped to goodness I'd get home (30 miles) wihout mishap.
    Car seems to be running fine, but I'm worried I've caused it some harm.
    Please can anyone put my mind at rest? Ta.

2. catmother

catmother Star commenter

My husband says that it's so diluted that it should be fine.

3. Thanks, catmother - my husband thinks the same, but I wondered if he was just maybe trying to make me feel better!
    Have been berating self constantly since it happened.

4. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Well ... given that it seems to be okay at the moment, if you keep on topping up, it'll be increasingly dilute so surely it'll carry on being okay?

5. I do hope so, lilac!
    See, I'll go to drive it tomorrow (or more likely Monday morning, to go to work - such is the way of s*d's law) and the thing will cough and die on me.

6. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Well I'm told that petrol in a diesel engine will explode... diesel in a petrol engine burns badly and smokes.

That's not helpful in the slightest, is it?

7. Nope. [​IMG]
    Agh. My car is toast!

8. This is straw that broke the camel's back stuff, isn't it? No advice but hopeful thoughts and lots of sympathy.
    XX

9. Aye, it is a bit, gorgy love. Thanks for your kind words. xx

10. It depends on the type of diesel engine to a great extent. If you have an older diesel then probably not a problem but if you have a modern common rail diesel then you could well have done some damage. Hopefully you haven't but in any case it is well worth buying and fitting a misfuel prevention device for about £30.

I've got one fitted to my diesel car - well worth it for the peace of mind.

11. Thanks for the advice, dekka. I'll bob out and get one of those devices pronto. Boiling with myself - been driving 30 years and never done this before.
    It's a 2004 plate Saab 9-3. Would that be classed as an older diesel?

12. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

It'll be fine.

13. harsh, thank you so much. [​IMG]
    I know you know your stuff, so that is very reassuring.

14. Almost certainly.

here's a linky for your Saab
    http://www.stopdieselmisfuelling.co.uk/fuelsure-diesel-misfuelling-fuel-filler/18

15. Ah, cheers dekka! I've saved the link and I'll get on to that tomorrow (bit knackered and flustered tonight - long story).
    The knowlegeable ladies & gents on this forum are great! Thank you all so much. xx

16. Well I am the same - had diesels for years and never had a problem until I was distracted one night as I was reaching out and picked up the unleaded hose instead of the diesel. Like you I hardly got any petrol in the tank and filled up with diesel straight away. Didn't stop me beating myself up about it even though I had the tank drained and the fuel system flushed the next day.
    That's why I got the misfuel prevention device - it's a bit fiddlier than just removing the petrol cap when filling up but much more reassuring.

17. Hey Man dont worry - two weeks in to my first headship I went after school to fill up as unleaded was on offer at the local tesco. I returned to school to take Y6 up to a maths evening at the local secondary, got them all on the coach and car wouldn't start. It was hubbys 4x4 and diesel! Lot s of flashing lights and very interested parents and children later I still managed to pick hubby up at train station after an engine clean out and a £200 bill!

18. D'you think I should get this done, to be on the safe side, dekka?
    (paranoia setting in!)

19. jepstar - I'm glad it's not just me! I wish I was as calm as you, though. [​IMG]

20. Hello Manashee! xx
    I did that with my Audi a few years ago - but I put much more petrol in. Don't worry - a couple of litres will mean nothing to a diesel engine. You'll be fine.
    For some reason, the Dunlop advert came to mind. Venus in Furs:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXIfLguIcxs&feature=related