1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help writing an email to set up a meeting to discuss resignation.

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by ckiddell1, Jan 8, 2020.

1. ckiddell1

ckiddell1 New commenter

I'm an NQT and am suffering horrendously with my mental health. After a term of having time off and trying to go back and having more time off, I have decided it would be best to resign (effective as soon as they are willing to release me).

I'm currently off sick and will hopefully be signed off as soon as I can get to the GP, but I need to set up a meeting with the headteacher to discuss the earliest date I can resign (if I can leave sooner, I'll be able to go back to complete the last two terms of my induction in the future). I have no idea how to word the email. I think I'm mostly stuck because I don't think I'm going to be able to go in and teach, but I need to go in to have the meeting to find out the date I can put in my resignation letter.

Any help would be great!

2. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

Just be straight forward.And double check everything with your union. - including the wording of the email I am suggesting.

Dear Mrs ....... This email is to let you know I have taken the decision to resign from my post of.....I would very much appreciate a chance to meet with you and discuss which date my resignation can be effective from. Thank you for all your support, I hope my contribution had been of some value.

Kind regards.

ckiddell1.

3. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Better still, speak with your union for specific advice - there may be history in your school / MAT which could offer precedent.

4. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Alternatively:

Sadly I have come to the conclusion that it would be better for me to take some time out from teaching and start afresh elsewhere. In line with my contract, I am offering my resignation with effect from 30th April, but I would be very willing to discuss an earlier date if this would suit the school.

Corvuscorax and celago22 like this.
  5. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

I wish to leave teaching at the earliest possible opportunity. I wish to speak to you regarding a leaving date.