1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Help with year 8 French mixed ability interview lesson please!

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by anni1974, May 17, 2011.

1. I have been out of teaching for the past 5 years to raise my children and have now decided to return to the profession. I sent off one application so far and got an interview which I am obviously very pleased about. I now have to prepare a 30 minute long lesson for the interview this week. It's a year 8 French mixed ability group and the topic is: holiday activites- present tense. If you could give me any hints/ tips as to what to watch out for or anything that might have changed with regards to lessons planning in the last 5 years I would be very grateful. Thanks!

2. maa09

maa09 New commenter

I would say that it is important to show that the pupils have made progess. At the beginning show learning objectives that can easily be assessed. I recommend beginning with the words can or be able to. An example of this could be 'be able to recognise at least 7 holiday activities'. Give more detail in your lesson plan to make the differentation clear, for example by saying all will be able to... / some will be able to... / a few will be able to...
    At the end reshow the objectives and guage the pupils' learning, for example by asking pupils to show with 5 fingers or less how confident they feel about the learning objective. I would do this after another more eye-catching plenary though such as mini whiteboards or hot seat.

I hope this makes sense to you and other colleagues! Good luck with the interview.

3. Thank you very much for that! It does make complete sense so I will follow your advise and hopefully be successful at the interview. Thanks again!

4. BrightonEarly

BrightonEarly Occasional commenter

Sound and up-to-date advice from maa09 - I'm also impressed by these points when interviewing candidates.

5. Forgot to ask- what do you mean by hot seat, how do I go about that? Thanks in advance!

6. BrightonEarly

'Hot seat' as mentioned by maa09 is when you select a volunteer (or victim) to sit in a seat at the front of the room (often at the teacher's desk) to face questioning from the teacher, the class or a mixture of both. The questions test the pupil's understanding of the lesson.

7. maa09

maa09 New commenter

Really glad you are pleasd with the advice. I was chuffed hear my advice described as "sound and up-to-date" too!!

For "Hot seat" pick a pupil to sit at the front, if you explain what it involves you are likely to get volunteers. The pupil sits in the teacher's chair (a key element!) at the front. Ask all the other pupils to think of a question about the lesson, they should all be ready to ask one if required. Then nominate pupils to ask their question to the pupil in the "hot seat".

Very best of luck with the interview.

8. maa09

maa09 New commenter

I see that was already answered !

9. Thanks again for your advise/ explanation! Your help is much appreciated! Do pupils generally like the hot seat plenary then? I assume you always ask for volunteers and wouldn't just pick somebody? How can you be sure that all or most of the learners achieved the learning objectives though if you only have one or two in the hot seat? Thanks again!

10. BrightonEarly

By getting all of the pupils to prepare questions to put to volunteer in hot seat. The questions they ask will show their understanding of the lesson. Be prepared to have a reward to entice hot seat volunteers!
    There are other possible review activities if you're unsure of hot seat activity.

11. Thanks everybody! I did get the job, really pleased as school and staff seem very nice! I did use the hot seat plenary and the kids loved it! Worked really well, thanks again for all your help and advise!

12. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

WOOOHOO!! WELL DONE! [​IMG]

13. BrightonEarly

Congratulations Anni1974 [​IMG]

14. maa09

maa09 New commenter

I've just seen on another strand that you got the job! Well done & congratulations!