1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help with Year 3/4 planning

Discussion in 'Primary' started by rtay, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Hi, I'll be starting my NQT year in September teaching a 3/4 class. The school hasn't given me any long/medium plans to work from. How should I go about planning for at least the first two weeks? Any suggestions (especially for Literacy and Maths)? Thank you.

2. Hi, I'll be starting my NQT year in September teaching a 3/4 class. The school hasn't given me any long/medium plans to work from. How should I go about planning for at least the first two weeks? Any suggestions (especially for Literacy and Maths)? Thank you.

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

4. Have been in Year 3/4 for a year now and still trying to work it out! Basically for Literacy I just have a 2 year rolling programme where I teach to Year 3/4 objectives accordingly (although I don't necessarily stick to the framework rigidly). I don't teach to the children's year groups, but to their abilities. Maths is a little harder because of the different objectives, but again I try to teach to ability rather than year groups. Will hunt out the mixed age objectives I managed to find on-line, there are quite a few that are helpful. If you have any questions etc that you need answers to, feel free to PM me - not saying I'll have the answers, but I'll help where I can.

5. Thank you both! Will definitely been needing your help jumpingStarfish. I've checked out both websites but not so sure where to start and how. For literacy, should I go ahead and plan for Narrative: Stories with familiar settings for the first two weeks? I have a few more year 3s than 4s but I don't know what level they are at. Was in school for a few days and have been asking them about the plans but didn't get anything in the end :( I guess end of term wasn't the best time to go in.

6. Poor you! It's bad enough being an NQT without knowing what you should be teaching. I teach Y 3/4 and have a 2 year rolling programme for Literacy. It's difficult to know where to start if you you dont know what your topics are going to be. I teach stories with historical settings when we do Egyptians, stories from other cultures when we do rainforests etc. I would say stories with familiar settings is a good starter I usually do this 1st thing in September but its all change this year as we've gone all "creative" the book I use is "I'll take you to Mrs Cole" a lovely picture book so usually at the right level for the young ones coming up from KS1.
    I would suggest investing in Hamilton Trust and the 100 framework lessons for maths as time savers while you get on your feet - before anyone jumps down my throat NO I do not teach them as they are I always adapt to the needs of my class but unfortunately the poster doesnt know her class yet.
    If you want to leave your email address I might be able to point you in the right direction with a few things.

7. Hi, I have just finished my nqt year and I completely feel for you. Firstly, in the first few days it's about getting ti know your class, so I suggest lots of pshe lessons. Secondly, do you have a theme? Or do you know what lasts years teacher dud in the autumn term.
    Send me your email I can send you my getting to know you plans for the first few days and maybe help you with some plans.
    Kym

8. Hi Kym, would you be able to send me your getting to know you plans please? Have inboxed me address. Thank you :)

9. Ditto this.