1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help with Year 2

Discussion in 'Primary' started by anon1814, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I need some help with division. I have started teaching a Year 2 class and I am introducing division to them. From my assessments of the children they range from P5 on the P-levels to level 3c!
    So there is a lot of range. I am introducing division as sharing and starting off the session with a lot of practical ways of dividing and then I am going to use pictures and then get them to solve some calculations.
    I was thinking of giving the less able practical ways to do this, then the middle group can draw images to help and most able to work out remainders too.
    I am not sure what people think. I don't want to use food but I was thinking of having a theme throughout the lesson as I just want to make division fun! But I am not sure this is fun.
    I really want some more practical whole class activities that we can do to introduce division. Please help!!! Any ideas would be appreciated.
    Thanks

2. greta444

greta444 New commenter

I wouldn't even think of doing division with those on P5. I have always found that using cubes and cards with written sums on ' share 12 cubes into 4 groups. How many in each group?' is a good way to do division simply. Extend the sum cards to using different vocabulary and then symbols. Don't over complicate things with food / themes.

3. Thank you for the advice.

I wanted to make it fun. Out of interest what would you do with those really low children? They are in this Maths group and they need to be included in the learning, so how do I make it accesible for them? Sharing between two?

Sorry.

4. I had a massive range of levls when I introduced this too. I had children at P5 to level 3. I did lots of practical in intro..letting them share smarties, explaining both need to be equal and how we can check. I had about 5 children who still couldnt recognise numbers properly so moving on from number recognition and simple subtraction was a waste of time and woud have confussed them even more so i sent them with the TA to do basic number work (counting forwards and backwards to and from 10 and 20, simple ading etc..). this let me focus on the rest of the children.

My less able (level 1s) I gave picture division cards to and they completed them in pairs using smarties/cubes/compare bears/counters...anything really). My Average ability had division sums ( in number form) and used aparatus to work out answer writin the sum intt heor book. Higher ability group had larger numbers to work with. I worked with this group and showed them how to partition a number into tens and units, divide each then re-combine. Took them a while to get but they did eventually. They can now divide numbers to 100 with remainders.

Doodles

5. I'm assuming the p5 child has 1-1 support in class as they are so low on the scale [​IMG]

6. Thanks for the help. I am trying this next week so I am just trying to plan the lessons but I was struggling with the first lesson. I completely understand how the children working at P levels need to be doing something else if they are still struggling with basic number recognition and understanding still.
    How did you introduce the topic? I need something quite fun and interactive, the school that I have started at says we always need to have a quick activity at the start of each lesson which introduces it and it needs to be fun and interactive. This part should last about 4 minutes. I always find this bit hard.
    Thank you. [​IMG]

7. No the P5 child does not always have support! I wish they did, it would make life easier, it is so hard to deliver an intro to a lesson when you have someone working at that level and then you have children who are at level 3.
    I never know where to pitch it, I aim for the middle which is about 2c but I always conscious that I might not be stretching the more able but then I don't want to leave out my P5 child or the other few working at similar levels.
    I used to work in a school which set for Maths which made things easier.

8. No, they do not. I wish they did.
    I am always worried about pitching the intro right because my average children are 2c but I have a small group at 3c and I don't want to leave them out. Also I don't want to lose my lower ability children!
    It was easier when I worked in a school where we set for Maths.

9. * bump

10. I'm really really surprised by this. Is the child actually a p5?

11. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Why are you surprised?

12. queenlit

queenlit New commenter

13. queenlit

queenlit New commenter

14. Msz

15. To be a P5 they would have learning difficulties and very very little capabilities of independent work. A child who can't write their own name, form any letters and count should have support in a mainstream classroom.

16. A child working at P5 requires support in each maths lesson, this is quite low are you sure this is where they are at? Do they have an IEP in place? The children I have worked with (KS1) at this level have been SEN pupils and have had small targets in place eg, number formation of 1 or 2 numbers, colours etc
    Pupils search intentionally for objects in their usual place, for example, going to the mathematics shelf for the box of shapes. They find big and small objects on request, for example, from a choice of two objects, identifying the ‘big’ and ‘small’. They compare the overall size of one object with that of another where there is a marked difference, for example, they indicate which of two shoes is the bigger, compare objects – big boxes and small boxes. They explore the position of objects, for example, placing objects in and out of containers, placing objects inside and outside a hoop, fits as many objects as possible into a box.
    Pupils respond to and join in with familiar number rhymes, stories, songs and games, for example, using a series of actions during the singing of a familiar song; joining in by saying, signing or indicating at least one of the numbers in a familiar number rhyme.Pupils can indicate one or two, for example by using eyepointing, blinks, gestures or any other means to indicate one or two, as required.They demonstrate that they are aware of contrasting quantities, for example ‘one’ and ‘lots’ by making groups of one or lots of food items on plates.
    Pupils sort or match objects or pictures by recognising similarities, for example, matching shoes or socks by placing next to one placed by an adult; find matching pairs from a collection of pictures; collecting objects given one criterion e.g. blue or big. They make sets that have the same small number of objects in each, for example, distributing sweets into containers so that there are one or two in each. They solve simple problems practically, for example, selecting appropriate containers for items of different sizes; checking there is a knife for every fork.

17. Msz

Or a child who just hasn't been in school or taught

18. In our school we purchased a set of Maths songs by Dave Godfrey. You can find details on his web site. He has a song for almost every aspect of the Maths curriculum and we use them a lot for intros to lessons. They are short and snappy and the children love them. Well worth the money. He will come to your school too if you can afford it and introduce the songs.

19. Waiguoren

Waiguoren New commenter

20. I have just introduced division to my year 2 class. I started by teaching division as sharing to the whole class (range from L1c - L3c). The introduction went something like this:
    • They sat in a circle and I put a handful of stickers I'd cut off a sheet onto the floor in front of myself.
    • I told them that I would share them with the most well behaved 4 children I could see.
    • I randomly gave out the stickers to my chosen four... something like "3 for Mubarak, and 7 for Priyali because I like the colour of her hairband.... 9 for Meg because she smiled at me, and 2 for Sunjeev because he's a boy so he can't have as many as the girls..." It was, of course, all said with a smile, and had caused uproar by the time I was finished!
    • I feigned ignorance to the cries of "But that isn't fair... you didn't make it fair!!" and asked the children to explain why it wasn't fair, and why fairness is important.
    • A child then came to 'show me' how I should have shared my stickers.
    By the time we had done it, the idea of fair sharing was well embedded, and I sent my lowest group off to their table with my TA to spend the lesson sharing groups of objects out between each of the people on their table.
    The rest of the children stayed on the carpet with me and I modelled how to make simple jottings to record and solve a division sum, the children practiced on their mini whiteboards, and then went to thier tables to have a go at solving the division sums on cards I had put out.
    I left remainders until I knew that the majority of children were clear about how to solve a divsion sum, and knew how to record it.
    Remainders came in next, and finally my top two groups are using an empty numberlne to solve division problems by grouping.

I've found that division can be taught to all the groups in the class, because really 'sharing' at ts most basic, is a skill which is taught in Reception, so theres no reason to say that low achieving 6yr olds shouldn't be able to do it.

As far as a P5 child goes... I think I'd be very concerned about this if it was in my class. By this stage in year 2 any P level is classed as SEN and requires supporting, at the very least with an IEP. A P5 is <u>seriously</u> low though... PAP funding and statementing would probably be becoming a priority if it was me. Remember we are now only 15 weeks from sending our little poppets up into the grown up world of key stage 2, and theres no way you'll be able to get this child working independently for then. You mention counting on and back from 10 and 20 - if the child is doing this, then they are definately beyond P5!!