1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HELP with Y9 top set German teaching "wenn"

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by MariamaBah, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Hello everyone,
    I would seriously need some help, some activities ideas to teach a Y9 top set german.
    The focus is "wenn" clause in the context of health (was ist los mit dir,beim Arzt, Echo express2)
    The problem I have is that as I'm a pgce student, i just started teaching them (german is my second language) and i really lack some creativity.
    I would like to do a creative lesson, for example i was thinking about getting them to do posters recaping the rule with "wenn". The problem is that i don't know what type of activities i could do with them. A bit lost there so any suggestions, ideas are really well welcomed!
    Thanks a lot in advance!

2. Hello everyone,
    I would seriously need some help, some activities ideas to teach a Y9 top set german.
    The focus is "wenn" clause in the context of health (was ist los mit dir,beim Arzt, Echo express2)
    The problem I have is that as I'm a pgce student, i just started teaching them (german is my second language) and i really lack some creativity.
    I would like to do a creative lesson, for example i was thinking about getting them to do posters recaping the rule with "wenn". The problem is that i don't know what type of activities i could do with them. A bit lost there so any suggestions, ideas are really well welcomed!
    Thanks a lot in advance!

3. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

You don't have to stick to the context of health. Use the weather, for example, to say what you wear, what activities you do, if it's snowing, raining etc.

4. FrauSue

FrauSue New commenter

Weather is always a great context for "wenn" to warm up. Maybe try looking at health consequences as well - Wenn man zu viel Alkohol trinkt, hat man Leberprobleme; Wenn man Sport treibt, bleibt man fit.
    There are a couple of slides on "wenn" + health in a PPT I popped in resources. Search under my name and it should come up.
    I avoid grammar posters as a general rule, but you could do advertising posters for a health campaign/product using lots of "wenn" clauses - that may get them thinking. E.g. Fitnesszentrum - Wenn es regnet, können Sie in unserem Zentrum trainieren! Wenn Sie hier trainieren, werden Sie fit! Wenn Sie fit werden, werden Sie glücklich!
    You can also do conversations based on leisure and trying to organise a day out where one person is very negative and their partner has to parry their arguments. Aber was machen wir, wenn es regnet? Aber was machen wir, wenn ich kein Geld habe? Aber was machen wir, wenn der Bus nicht kommt? Pupils could perform their role play to the class.
    Hope that helps.

5. whapbapboogy

whapbapboogy New commenter

Human sentences.
    Two teams, each team has pieces of paper/card.
    Write a lostof words for each team to put onto the paper-
    eg

wenn
    es
    regnet
    schneit
    windig
    ist
    fahre
    gehe
    schwimme
    tanze
    ich
    nach Bradford
    ins Kino

then go outside, preferably (or you can do it in class if you have space), line them up, they each have one 'flashcard' each, you shout out a sentence in English, and it is the first team whose members rush up and hold up the correct words in the correct order.

6. whapbapboogy

I've actually done human sentences in German in the context of health (wenn ich Schnuepfen habe, gehe ich ins Bett/besuche ich den Arzt/ nehme ich Tropfen' etc) and it worked well.
    I advise you do the cards scrappily to start with (getting them to write them in class, on scrap paper) before spending ages making beautiful, laminated ones, and stick to 'ich', as it's the word order and the illness/remedy vocab you are focussing on.

7. musiclover1

musiclover1 New commenter

I don't understand how the teams and the pieces of paper are organised. Does each team member have one of the words? And you tell them which word to write on their paper?

8. whapbapboogy

If you want to spend ages preparing it, you prepare the cards yourself. Two sets of cards, each card has one word on it eg
    wenn
    es
    sonnig
    ist
    (4 cards)
    -You divide the class into two teams
    -you give each team a set of cards
    -they each distrubute the cards among their team, ideally dso each team member has one card (so they all get involved)
    - you call out a sentence in English
    -kids look at their cards, work out if they are needed
    -if they are, they rush to the front and put themselves in the right place amongst the other kids in their team and hold their cards up, so it spells out a sentence.

IF you want to save time, just write the words each team HAS to have on individual cards, hand out the paper and tell them each team has to have flashcards of these words (project up the words), one per word. Then you can just use scrap paper and boardpens,
    Tell them what is going to happen in the game, so they understand.
    Do you understand it now? [​IMG]

9. musiclover1

musiclover1 New commenter

[​IMG]Yes, thank you! I'm a bit of a slow learner and I like to get things right!
    I did a similar activity once where I had 3 sets of 8 cards and handed them to three teams (the class happened to have 24 people in it), and then timed how long it took them to get into the right order. That did work well, but your game lasts longer, so the language gets practised more. My sentences were something like 'Ich mag Deutsch, weil es interesssant ist.' (with the comma being a card as well).
    Having a card with a comma on is a good idea, I think.

10. whapbapboogy

yes, I agree. [​IMG]