1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Help with writing NEW IEPs

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by alm721, Apr 1, 2011.

1. alm721

alm721 New commenter

In general targets need to be smart. Very many IEP targets are not. Your new paperwork is better that your old one. Your first target is not really clear. If smart it should say how many words from phase 3 and if not all, which words you are refering to. Also it is not clear what 'concentrating on the middle sounds means' this needs clarifying.
    I think the sucess criteria depend on the targets but for example the 'read and spell' words from phase three target should give some indication of what is deemed to be sucessful. e.g x will be able to read and spell x number of words from phase 3 with x% acuracy.
    It should also include when this will be achieved by and give some detail of how this will be assessed and by who. I.e a TA saying 'it's about 50% of the time' is not as good as weekly test's/checks that are recorded and then used to monitor how many x is getting right etc.
    As an aside if you don't get much response on here, the SEN children forum on mumsnet has lots of very knowledgable parents, who probably who the sen code of practice in more depth than many teachers/senco's do. I think you'd get so very good ideas if you posted your question on there.

2. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

Agree with alm above.
    The targets you have written are quite vague and there is no indication of how you will know when the child has achieved this target. Personally I would do it something like this:
    Target - To be able to read 15 words from phase 3 (if you want spell as well this should be a separate target as children often do one better than the other)
    Success Criteria - Can read the 15 words correctly 80% of the time
    Resources - wooden letters, matching picture cards (add your own here)
    Strategies - Emphasis on blending skills and reading the sounds in a word from l-r. Use of word puzzles or wooden letters to practice sound blending
    When - 3x weekly with Mrs F (15 mins), daily in phonic sessions (20 mins)
    Outcome - is able to read 15 words from phase 3 corretly 80% of the time.

Does this help a bit? Personally I would have merged the success criteria and outcome into one colum but that's just me.