1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help with Word

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lapinrose, May 22, 2012.

1. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

I need help, can I use a font any larger than 72? I'm trying to do some notices for the dog show on Saturday and need big writing!!

2. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

My favourite way of dealing with large writing is to highlight the text, then use Ctrl and [ or ] to enlarge or shrink it 1pt at a time. Hold it to whizz it bigger. You can then make it as big as you possibly can to still fit on the page.

I hope that makes sense...

3. I was about to post a reply but tried lilac's method and it works. Thanks for the tip. I love a good shortcut.

4. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

What I like best is that I can keep going until it's slightly too big, then go back one at a time.

5. Alternatively, if you know how big you want to go, click in the size box in the menu bar and input the size you want. Hit enter to confirm it. A little geeky fact: Size 72 is equal to an inch in height.

6. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

I never knew that-thank you

7. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Lilachardy" My favourite way of dealing with large writing is to highlight the text,
    then use Ctrl and [ or ] to enlarge or shrink it 1pt at a time"
    That's a useful tip. I usually just input a size say 100 ad the tweak it depeding how big the area it needs to fit. Your way will make tweaking much easier,

8. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Yes, if you know the size you want it, then highlight the text, type the number in the size box and then press enter.
    If you want to enlarge it a little at a time, as had been said already:
    highlight the text and press Ctrl and ] at the same time.
    Reduce it by highlighting text and pressing Ctrl and [ at the same time

9. OOOO....... I might know this and knowing anything about computers is rare indeed.
    I used to empty the box with the number in it - highest 72.....? Delete it so it is empty .... backspace.
    Then, put in a bigger number ......... Go up in tens to find the size suitable for what is wanted.
    I will try it to see if I have remembered correctly......

10. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Yes, that's it. Just don't forget to highlight the text first and press enter afterwards.

11. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Also, to make best use of this enlargement, you can move the margins a little by grabbing and dragging them on the rulers at the edges. Just allow enough space not to get cut off by the printer.

12. Yes. Take the curser to the box with the number in it, delete by pressing backspace - it should be empty. Type in a number, press the enter key. The little vertical line on the page will show roughly how big the font will be. Keep altering the number until the most suitabler size is found.
    Do you have word art?