1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Help with voice

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by lou1990lou, Sep 15, 2013.

1. lou1990lou

lou1990lou New commenter

I started my NQT year a couple of weeks ago. After only two weeks of teaching I can feel the impact on my voice dramatically.

I have come to the realisation it is because I have a lot more classes than I did last year. I was just wondering if anybody has any tips on how to avoid losing my voice or becoming poorly with a sore throat?

2. oHelzo

oHelzo Occasional commenter

If you're in secondary, go and see the drama lot to do some work on voice projection to use your diaphragm more to reduce strain on your throat. It's amazing what a difference it makes for your classroom personality as well :)

3. teo

teo

During my NQT year I had some lessons on voice projection, posture and how to look after my voice from a music/singing teacher at the school. It really helped and I still use his advice now. The other thing I find really helps my voice is keeping hydrated; I always have a bottle of water on my desk.

4. wkclark

wkclark New commenter

Good advice from a drama teacher I received... I used to hum on my way to work. This would warm up my voice for the day. Also honey and lemon juice in hot water on an evening. And keep hydrated. If your voice starts to go - rest it. I once didn't speak at all over a three day weekend.

5. Take care of your voice - lose it and you could have serious problems. The Voice Care Network helps teachers and other professionals who are voice dependent:

http://www.voicecare.org.uk/

Many ITT providers give sessions on voice care - in my own institution ALL our trainees had and introductory 1 hour session with a voice professional and I know that this is not enough - but we will try to provide more support.

Drink plenty of water and the key to good voice projection etc. is good breathing and NOT straining the neck and vocal cords!

James

@edujdw

6. Deputy Dawg

Deputy Dawg New commenter

Fact: Teachers are 8 times more likely to suffer from voice problems than any other profession! (Association of Teachers and Lecturers, 2016)
    I've just consulted on a new Use and Care of Voice for Teachers online course that's available now. Lots of helpful tips in there that might be helpful.

Attached Files: