1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help with University choice

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by autismuk, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Hi. I'm a teacher but not of Media Studies, so thanks in advance for any ideas.
    My daughter however enjoys the subject, seems to be good at it and is keen to do it beyond A2 level.
    Are there any good guides regarding Media Studies specifically at University/College or a more general one that anyone would recommend ?
    Does anyone have any other helpful suggestions ? (We live in the East Anglia area)
    Unfortunately it was a subject that didn't exist when I was at school so I do not know a great deal about.
    Many thanks.

2. Hi. I'm a teacher but not of Media Studies, so thanks in advance for any ideas.
    My daughter however enjoys the subject, seems to be good at it and is keen to do it beyond A2 level.
    Are there any good guides regarding Media Studies specifically at University/College or a more general one that anyone would recommend ?
    Does anyone have any other helpful suggestions ? (We live in the East Anglia area)
    Unfortunately it was a subject that didn't exist when I was at school so I do not know a great deal about.
    Many thanks.

3. Speaking

Speaking New commenter

Have you looked at the UCAS subject search in relation to the different types of media degrees that are available. Westminster, Bournmouth, Brighton, Farnham are all some of the universities that my students have applied to as well as Lincoln for various different types of media degrees. The UCAS site will direct you to the university as well and you can request prospectus/visit open days etc to firm any decisions. Not sure if this was what you were after as your topic said uni but you're asking for guides so hope that this is some use.
    HTH,
    Shirley

4. Not just saying it because it's my university, but Newcastle are currently ranked number one for teaching Media, Communication, Film, etc. My degree isn't media but I did some modules with the Media school and they're extremely different to A Level: completely political and historical. It can be taken as part of the Combined Honours programme where you can create your own degree, mine being in English Literature and Film Studies. Although Film Studies is not classed as a Media subject but a form of Literature, it still goes very well with Media. The only potential downside is there is no practical filmmaking although there is a very good Journalism module.
    Sticking closer to East Anglia and keeping a traditional subject, your daughter could do a better thought of BA if she wishes and then do the MPHIL Screen Media and Cultures at Cambridge Uni.
    Having said that, anybody who discrimates against somebody's degree because of the academic discipline probably isn't worth working for.
    If there's any more information you think I can provide you with then just ask.

5. Thanks to everyone who responded. Some food for thought :)

6. ThereAreBunniesInMyHead

ThereAreBunniesInMyHead Occasional commenter

Bournemouth are particularly good. They have great facilities and when we had a professional music video director in our school last week he said that the graduates he's had from there are always excellent. Its well known for having good industry links and a good employment rate at the end of the course. Good luck to her.

7. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

For my sins, both my kids have opted for Media degrees. Eldest enjoyed herself at De Montfort in Leicester, with a focus on Media/Creative Writing. Youngest is currently getting stuck into her second year of Media Theory and Practice at Sussex Uni (Brighton) and wants to pursue the Photography side of things. She considered Bournemouth and visited it because of its reputation, but it didn't suit her particular requirements, even though she'd got the grades.

8. I finished my degree in Film and English Studies at UEA in June. The course and tutors are fantastic!

I can see that Film and English doesn't quite fit the bill, but UEA also does a Film and Television Studies course (BA). There are opportunities to do film production, screenwriting and television studio projects (2nd year) as well as plenty of academic analysis.

I would thoroughly recommend the course and the uni- it's rated 2nd in the country for student satisfaction.

If your daughter does well, she could always follow in my tracks and go on to teach English and Media :)

Best of luck with UCAS

9. Thanks. We actually live in Norfolk and are visiting UEA this week :)
    She is interested in Film Studies as an option.