1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help with translation please

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by dancinginthecity, Apr 19, 2012.

1. dancinginthecity

dancinginthecity New commenter

Please could someone tell me the correct way to say 'The French flag is red, white and blue'. i think its le drapeau de la france est rouge, blanc et bleu. Would all countries be de la?

2. dancinginthecity

Please could someone tell me the correct way to say 'The French flag is red, white and blue'. i think its le drapeau de la france est rouge, blanc et bleu. Would all countries be de la?

3. Teafrog79

Teafrog79 New commenter

bleu, blanc et rouge even, in the correct order.
    No, not all countries will be de la (only the feminine ones and the ones that start with a l'). If it's a masculine country, it becomes le drapeau du Pays de Galles, if it's a plural country, it's le drapeau des États-Unis and if it has nothing in front, it's le drapeau de Dubaï.
    Hope it helps

4. dancinginthecity

Thank you. I will get the order correct now : 0 )
    I did do a google translate before reading your reply and found 'et rouge'. Is this correct? If it is it will be more straight forward than using the fem, masc, plural.
    Guess I'm a good reason why non French speaking teachers aren't the best people to teach French in primary schools.

5. funambule

funambule New commenter

The trick is to tell the kids thet the order of colours is `from the flag pole'. Ask them to think about the meaning of `Tricolore'; you will have done enough on the flag by just teaching these two things!

6. dancinginthecity

What I want to do is give the sentence structure - the french flag is blue white and red. Then they make own sentences using flags from other countries so it is the structure I need to sure about.

7. mpillette

mpillette New commenter

Oddly, when describing the French flag we don't use the preposition "et". We say: "Le drapeau francais est bleu, blanc, rouge." Et vive la République!

8. Er, with so many countries have three colours- Ireland, Holland, Belgium, Italy, and so many flags only have a few colours like Greece, Switzerland, Norway, Russia etc. Games around this theme are easy if you have a colour projector...