1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

help with topic title

Discussion in 'Primary' started by bex2606, May 8, 2011.

1. Hi I am looking at next years planning for my year 1 class. I was not particularly pleased with my first terms topic next year and have been trying to improve it for next year.
    I have to get the ourselves part of the science in and was thinking about looking at our area/ homes. Our history and family. Books set in the home etc
    I thought about calling it 'me and my world' but it's just a bit boring. I was also thinking of making films about ourselves and our area as an outcome to the topic so considered calling it 'stars of the silver screen'. But is this a bit vague?
    Any ideas would be apreciated.
    B
    ps have also posted on creative curriculum so please forgive repetition

2. nomad

nomad Star commenter

"Who Do You Think You Are"
    ?
    (Apologies to the BBC)

3. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

"This Is Your Life"
    ?
    (Apologies to ITV)
    [​IMG]

4. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

I have no idea why teachers want to come up with all singing and dancing topic titles. The children often have no idea what it's all about. Just keep it simple. Don't combine the two things, as I'm sure you will be teaching one topic for 3 weeks and the other for 3. So can you not just say Ourselves and Our Homes?

5. It's not just ourselves and our homes. They're are other aspects that I will be including. Part of the reason that I like to have an interesting topic title is because we send a curriculum overview to parents every term and I personally like to have a catchy title.
    Maybe I don't need to do it but I like to.
    Thanks for the ideas.
    Nomad, I thought you were having a go at me for a minute!

Any other ideas much apreciated. I'm not quite struck with anything yet

6. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Moi?

7. Thought of a few connectors 'Spotlight on me',

'Me, me, me'

'Hello, here I am',

'Me, myself and I'

'Lights, Camera, Action' (This is the title of one of my courses on visual literacy but you can nick it if it fits) :)

I really like the title "Stars of the silver screen" I don't think it is vague at all. I think that non-specific titles are far more flexible. With a connector like that you could teach so much linked up learning. Remember, children learn where connections are made, so if a link can be made, it should be made. Drop me an email and I will send you on some plans that I have completed with schools that include the Ourselves science topic jane@thetrainingspace.co.uk Good luck Jane

8. Gamina

Gamina New commenter

We do a very similar topic with our year 1. Combing the ourselves Science topic and our local area. We call it "Our Class in a Box" its a very nice way to do transition. By the end of the unit all the children have a shoe box made up of all the things they think make them - this includes little snippets of all the things they have learnt through the various subjects that make up the topic. Then they get to take that box back to their old reception class and do a little 5 minute talk with 2-3 of thee littl'uns to show that they are now the big year 1 children.