1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help with timetabling?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by NQT88, Feb 14, 2012.

1. NQT88

NQT88 New commenter

My SLT have recently suggested that I cut back on foundation subjects and focus more on Literacy and Numeracy as we are well below target (thanks to the new '2 levels' since KS1 requirement).
    However trying to find the national requirements for different subjects is becoming quite tedious as I was told by the RE and PE leader at my school that the requirements for those are 2 hours for PE (at year 6) and 1 hours and 15 minutes for RE but sources I have found on line keep giving different numbers.
    I was originally basing my timetable on this: http://sites.google.com/site/tesfaqs/timetable#TOC-How-many-hours-should-be-taught-of-1 is that the right amount?
    I also want to check that the foundation subjects don't have to be taught (though I will still teach them and try to create a week dedicated to each where I can) and whether science is included in this (though I'd likely still include it as the chidlren adore the experiments).
    Anyway, any adivce on timetabling would be greatly appreciated and any advice for any one else going through similar problems would be equally appreciated.
    Thanks!

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Since you mention year 6, I assume you are a year 6 teacher. So do what a whole host of other year 6 teachers are doing and stick with maths and english all day every day from now until SATs. Then block in all other subjects and enjoy the summer!

There is no legal requirement for any hours, just guidelines and a requirement to teach the NC over the year. You can do as you please on a week by week basis.

PR generally works out at more or less 2 hours, but 1 hour from now until May and 3 hours after will still give enough hours to cover the curriculum. If your school is a church school, then cutting RE might be frowned upon otherwise it won't be.

3. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

This isn't new - that's been the expectation since the NC was introduced in the 80s!
    As has been said, there are no minimum requirements, only guidelines.