1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help with the links to AQA Unit 2 Western Classical Tradition ASAP

Discussion in 'Music' started by marlin, Mar 22, 2011.

1. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

Just got back from an orchestra rehearsal - played Saint Saens Organ symphony - theme from this used in 1978 - If I had Words by Scott Fitzgerald and was also used in the film Babe - thought I'd mention it!

3. i the t

i the t New commenter

Use of instruments (eg. strings) that appear in the Western Classical Tradition is suffice according to the guy on the course.

Sorry to hijack this thread but for the new unit 2 we are to relate to the pop music strand which is great for my students.
    I was wondering how relevant the assessment criteria is about developing material though in relation to pop as it isn't really a requirement of pop music in general that material be developed; rather ideas are typically replaced with other material or repeated.
    Obviously there are countless examples of motivic development in pop but it's not really a central tenet....

4. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I always think the thing to remember in these circumstances is that the kids need to appreciate that the object of the exercise is to get a good mark in the exam. Much the same sometimes happens in performance units, where a pupil is determined to perform some piece that they love, and it has to be pointed out that the sheer lack of variety in the music is inevitably going to prevent them showing a range of skills as a performer.