1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help with the basics of BTEC Art & Design

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by biltonhr, Jun 26, 2018.

1. biltonhr

biltonhr New commenter

SLT at my school have recently decided to make the change from GCSE (AQA exam board) to BTEC due to the cohort of students we have that just 'don't get' the GCSE specification. Unfortunately, we are not going to be given any training until Nov 2018 which gives us a few months of teaching blind.
    I haven't got any real experience of teaching BTEC and was wondering if you could provide me with the following information to help get my head around the basics:

* Breakdown of the overall BTEC specification (how many projects the students do and the percentage towards their overall grade)
    * Examples of feedback sheets for students from teachers
    * Trackers (for data & assessment)
    * SoW & projects outlines
    * Resources (Powerpoints and worksheets)

Thank you so much for your support.

2. elder_cat

elder_cat Established commenter

Hi @biltonhr

I taught BTEC Computing (FE) before I retired, so can't offer much of any use with regard to Art & Design for schools :) But for what it's worth, my experience of BTEC generally was that reading the specifications more than once, and some time spent mulling it over, made it easier to hit the nail on the head in terms of internal assessments etc, and helped with the internal verification process. For the courses I taught, Edexcel were a bit thin on the ground when it came to resources, or at least ones I wanted to use and thought would work well with the students I taught, so with a few exceptions I ended up producing my own. :( I was never a great fan of the books they touted as being relevant to the course, they seemed a bit flimsy and lacking in much detail, to me.

The links below are to the BTEC spec and course materials pages, athough I have to say I always found it annoyingly difficult to find exactly what I was after on the BTEC web site. Of course that may just have been me being thick :D

Specification:

https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/btec-tech-awards/art-and-design-practice.html

Course Materials:

https://qualifications.pearson.com/.../art-and-design-practice.coursematerials.html

Best of luck with the unit, and I'm sure everything will go well for you, once you get your head round the alphabet soup that is Edexcel ;)

3. biltonhr

biltonhr New commenter

Thank you so much for your help with this - I will check out the links you've sent me. Fingers crossed for Sept 18!!

4. elder_cat

elder_cat Established commenter

You're welcome :)