1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help with teaching recounts to Y3

Discussion in 'Primary' started by roddywoomble, Feb 21, 2011.

1. roddywoomble

roddywoomble New commenter

I have been given a week to teach recounts (next week) to Y3. Does anyone have any advice on how long you spend on each objective and how you structure it? I'm thinking of using a writing frame or story boards. They are doing a recount of a play they did last week and here are there objectives:

- Identify and make straightforward inferences based on evidence from texts. Identify main purpose of texts. Show awareness of the point of view being presented in a text, and how opinion of author may change and affect comments made.
    - Read and discuss concepts of fact and opinion - explore issues raised in text and how reader's opinion could be affected by author.
    - Analyse texts and revise key organisational features and identify conventions.
    - Create paragraphs to link and group information.
    - Compose sentences with time connectives and causal if possible.
    - Begin to use commas to separate phrases and clauses in sentences.
    - Plan, draft and write recount with both fact and opinion based content.
    - Signal time, place and sequence by using connectives - use adverbs and conjunctions to establish cohesion between paragraphs.
    This, to me, it just a load of waffle. How do I create a week's worth of work from this? Feeling very low at the minute...I feel like I have to post on here too often!

2. carriecat10

carriecat10 Occasional commenter Community helper

Having a shared experience on which to base their recounts is a good start, however I wasn't really sure whether the children will recount the doing of the play or the play itself.
    I have found it useful to have a system for organising the planning on a time line. As a whole class you could brainstorm key aspects and then get each group to reenact an episode for photos (if you haven't got photos already). These could be placed on the time line and captions added. This would be a good point to look at time connectives.
    I would suggest working in pairs to develop a paragraph for each photo. Share paragraphs and make suggestions for improving by adding more detail, extending sentences ... whatever is appropriate for that group.
    Hope that helps ... I like to keep things simple!
    Carrie [​IMG]

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

Writing Fun http://www.writingfun.com/ is great for showing the structure of different kinds of text.
    Click on the examples at the bottom of the recount text page http://www.writingfun.com/writingfun2010.html then hover the mouse over the tips to highlight each aspect.
    This resource could save you lots of time in what will be a very tight schedule!

4. roddywoomble

Any ideas on what I can do in the first lesson of the week guys? I'm going to have them analyse a recount text and identify its key features, and do some shared writing. What should I have them do for the activities sections of the lesson (in their books)? I'm writing a weekly plan and have to put something in the independent learning section. The day after we will be planning what goes into each section of the recount before actually writing it out the day after that.

Shane

5. Could you get them to write about their weekend, then introduce the fact that this is a form of a recount?

6. roddywoomble

Hi guys, me again. I've planned out my week and was hoping somebody could maybe look at it and tell me what they think! I also want to make sure I definitely KNOW what a recount text is..there's so many criteria to include, I'm worried I will forget some. Also, the kids are only Y3 so I worry about getting it across to them.

They are going to write a recount of a play they did and need to remember:

Introduction to include who? what? where? when? why
    Remember to write in 1st person and past tense
    Remember to sequence ideas
    Remember to use time connectives
    Use powerful verb and adjectives
    Write in chronological order
    Summarise their feelings

So much to remember. Any help would be greatly appreciated :D

7. marlin

Have you looked at the resources on Primary Resources site? There are some good writing frames that you might be able to use or adapt. There are also word mats that you could use to support the less able. Have you thought about use of paragraphs? Are the less able going to write within a frame, middle group set out in sections and more able use paragraphs (a stretch for y3 possibly)?
    If you google Sue Palmer recount texts there are some good ppt and pdf versions available - useful both as a teaching aid and for you to check you haven't missed anything!
    Good luck!

8. roddywoomble

Hi Marlin,
    Could you please have a look at my weekly plan if I email it and let me know what you think? It's been OK'd by the class teacher but I'm feeling nervous about how they will write their recount. In the main, am I right in thinking a recount is literally a sequential telling of an event?

Thanks,

Shane

9. marlin

Send me a PM with your email.

10. roddywoomble

PM sent :)

Thanks for you help

11. invincible

invincible New commenter

Start by showing exmaples of what a recount is and getting them to deconstruct recounts to find patterns and make their own success criteria and to create a common and shared understanding of what a recount is. If you want them to get to a certain goal (connectives for example), it's up to you to provide as many good examples of recounts illustrating that goal so that they will find it to make their success criteria. Then you can do the shared and independent writing parts.