1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

help with TA interview task...

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by geordiepip, Jul 8, 2011.

1. I have an interview on Monday and have been given the following task:
    "Select a book or short extract to share with a group of 6 pupils and prepare questions for a follow up discussion with the children. You will have 20 minutes for this activity"
    Does anyone have any ideas on where to start? or a good short text which would be suitable??

2. Which year group is it for?

3. My invite letter just states its for KS2

4. Hmmm, that's tricky. Could you phone the school and check which year it's for? Year 3 are very different to Year 6 :)

5. my interview is at 9am on monday :(

6. Ah. Maybe one of Roald Dahl's Revolting Rhymes? They all know the stories they are based on and enjoy the humour :) Good luck

7. I now know that this task will be with 6 year 5 children.
    I have selected the passage from Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone where Harry gets his wand from Mr Ollivanders shop. I am thinking it will take 10 mins (approx) to read the passage - I have split the text into 6 sections (simply by putting a line on the text to indicate a break) so I can have each child read a section.
    I was then going to use the follow up activity to focus on adjectives and how they are used in the passage - decribing Mr Ollivanders shop and then the different wands. Obviously I will use other questions around what the children think is happening - significance of the passage etc
    Do you think this sounds like it would work? - honest opinions....

8. Sounds good to me, I have worked in a yr5/6 class all most of them have read or seen some Harry Potter.
    Good luck!
    Wren

9. It sounds fine to me, especially as the last film is out on Friday :)

10. It worked!! I got the job. Clearly my Harry Potter piece cast a spell over the children and the observers!! lol
    I have to go and meet the head to discuss further details on Thursday as she mentioned possibility of extra hours than advertised. Only bit of feedback so far was from a friend who works at the school who said taking a bottle of coke into the session with the children and my subsequent interview wasnt a good idea (not promoting healthy diets!!)
    I'm so excited!!

11. Yay! Well done!

12. Congratulations!