1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help with supporting an EAL pupil in reception

Discussion in 'Primary' started by GudrunW, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Hi, I have a Turkish child starting in reception who speaks no English at all. I have never taught a child who has no English and am looking for some advice on how to teach and support this child. Obvioulsly I'll need to use lots of visual aids but as she'll be unable to read in her own language she wont be able to translate any written information. Can anyone help? I imagine she'll be terrified about starting school - any suggestions would be gratefully received. Thanks.

2. Hi, I have a Turkish child starting in reception who speaks no English at all. I have never taught a child who has no English and am looking for some advice on how to teach and support this child. Obvioulsly I'll need to use lots of visual aids but as she'll be unable to read in her own language she wont be able to translate any written information. Can anyone help? I imagine she'll be terrified about starting school - any suggestions would be gratefully received. Thanks.

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Talk to her. When she is with you do a running commentary of what you/she is doing.
    "I'm rolling the dough into a long snake."
    "Have you got the red bike?"
    "Let's find thee teddy ...is he in the box?"

4. flapfish

flapfish New commenter

Don't panic! I had a Thai child with no english once. As the above poster suggested, I talked to her and so did the other children. Picture prompts that we had around the classroom helped and I did mnake her a few other ones. After a term, she ran out of the role play shouting 'look at me! I'm a fairy!'

5. flickaz

flickaz New commenter

As the previous posters have said: lots of pictures and lots of talking to her. She'll pick it up very quickly, especially surrounded by the other children. Choose a few key words to teach her first eg toilet and expose her to as much talk as possible.

6. What about reading stories with lots of repetition in it and getting the children to repeat them. Or learning a nursery rhyme like Old Macdonald had a farm. It might prompt her to join in on the animal noises and she might like it.

Prompt visuals and maybe sit her next to a talkative/ group or individual during playtime.
    Find out books that involve Turkish traditions or a well known story for him/her to take home to look at.

What KS is this?