1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help with story writing in year 3.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by 0612692, Feb 6, 2011.

1. I have a class of low level year 3 writers. We are currently teaching the adventure story topic but in a very simplified version. We have spent the last two weeks focusing on character description and are moving on to planning stories.

Any suggestions are ideas for this would be greatly appriciated as I'm really struggling for ideas.

Many thanks a struggling NQT.

2. I have a class of low level year 3 writers. We are currently teaching the adventure story topic but in a very simplified version. We have spent the last two weeks focusing on character description and are moving on to planning stories.

Any suggestions are ideas for this would be greatly appriciated as I'm really struggling for ideas.

Many thanks a struggling NQT.

3. Two weeks on character description seems an overly long time. Which stories have you looked at? Have you broken them down into their features? Have you talked about each feature of adventure stories? Use a story that the children are familiar with and ask them to write their own version, e.g. as one of the characters.

4. It was but the children really needed it. Its taken all of that time to get them to understand how to use adjectives to describe a character. They can be very good writers but it slow progress to get them to understand concepts. It sometimes feels like they haven't done literacy before they came to me but it's no ones fault they just find it difficult. I like the ideas of writing their own version of a story as we focussed on characters out of stories they know so that could be a nice follow on. Thank you.

5. Have you tried the story mountain? Type it in on the resources zection it is very visual Nd useful for scaffolding story writing! Xxxx

6. I would always prepare a planning sheet based on the features of the stories you have been studying, and then I would spend time modelling filling in the planning sheet. After the children have done their plan, my next lesson would be modelling how to turn the beginning of my plan into the beginning of a story. Hopefully, by then, the children have a good idea what is expected of them.