1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help with special needs assembly

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by mrstiggywinkle123, Jul 28, 2011.

1. mrstiggywinkle123

mrstiggywinkle123 New commenter

Having broken up from school, I had time to look at our long term planner for next year. It was with horror that I discovered that in the 4th week back at school, my class of special children, 3 of whom will only have been in school full time for a week and who are non-talkers are expected to do the first class assembly of the year! I have eight children in my class ranging from reception to Year 3. I would appreciate ideas for an exciting assembly which will last longer than the 5 minutes that my new ones will be able to sit for! When I asked "why my class" I was told that it was because I am on SLT! Hm. I think we may be singing and signing lots of songs and teaching the whole school some signs too! Our topic is Ourselves. Any ideas greatly appreciated.

2. mrstiggywinkle123

mrstiggywinkle123 New commenter

Having broken up from school, I had time to look at our long term planner for next year. It was with horror that I discovered that in the 4th week back at school, my class of special children, 3 of whom will only have been in school full time for a week and who are non-talkers are expected to do the first class assembly of the year! I have eight children in my class ranging from reception to Year 3. I would appreciate ideas for an exciting assembly which will last longer than the 5 minutes that my new ones will be able to sit for! When I asked "why my class" I was told that it was because I am on SLT! Hm. I think we may be singing and signing lots of songs and teaching the whole school some signs too! Our topic is Ourselves. Any ideas greatly appreciated.