1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help With Small Business Idea

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by JLM2011, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Hello Heads
    I'm just after your thoughts/experience/needs.
    I have worked in the Education sector for a number of years, mainly through supporting students both academically and most recently pastorally. I enjoy supporting students with various needs and something which I proclaim to be my niche! I've been thinking for some time about setting up a small business within the sector and have been working on a short course/workshop which would be delivered to identified students over a period of weeks.
    I do understand that some of you will employ staff such as Learning Mentors/Pastoral Support to do some of these things that i'm thinking of, and therefore my ideas may not even be viable.
    My questions are:
    What topics/areas would you like to be delivered to students' which cannot be delivered via Teachers/Support staff due to time constraints etc?
    Do you budget for outside agencies to come into School/College to deliver workshops or is everything in house?
    Finally, am I living in dreamland trying to even set something up like this?
    Your time and thoughts would really be appreciated.
    Thank you.

2. Hello Heads
    I'm just after your thoughts/experience/needs.
    I have worked in the Education sector for a number of years, mainly through supporting students both academically and most recently pastorally. I enjoy supporting students with various needs and something which I proclaim to be my niche! I've been thinking for some time about setting up a small business within the sector and have been working on a short course/workshop which would be delivered to identified students over a period of weeks.
    I do understand that some of you will employ staff such as Learning Mentors/Pastoral Support to do some of these things that i'm thinking of, and therefore my ideas may not even be viable.
    My questions are:
    What topics/areas would you like to be delivered to students' which cannot be delivered via Teachers/Support staff due to time constraints etc?
    Do you budget for outside agencies to come into School/College to deliver workshops or is everything in house?
    Finally, am I living in dreamland trying to even set something up like this?
    Your time and thoughts would really be appreciated.
    Thank you.

3. This is a competitive market. Outside agencies doing this sort of work are qualified to extremes and experienced in the field. In recent years there has been loads of training available in family support, pupil mental health therapy , CAF trained, counselling, play therapy, Thrive, art therapy, pupil coaching, restorative justice and lots more. You name it and these groups have got it! Learning Mentor course is useful but out of date and you'd need to add to your qualifications unless you go for a specific pupil support TA post. I don't know your qualifications or experience so apologies if you have loads. How about Ed Psych course/route?

4. Thank you for your reply Transilvanian, very useful. I really would be up against the big boys wouldn't i.
    I did look into the Ed Psych course a few years back actually and couldn't do it for one reason and another. I think i'll go and have another read up on it.