1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help with sickness leave

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Geekygeordie, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Geekygeordie

Geekygeordie New commenter

Hi,

I am currently off with WRS and it is unlikely that I will be returning before the end of term. I have already handed my notice in to leave at Christmas which was accepted and that is all fine. My query is I am confused at what the process is should I not return to the school.

Will it just be a case of if I am signed off until the end of term and I'm leaving anyway then it is left at that?

Will it affect any jobs after Christmas as I would not be completing a return to work with my current employer?

Hoping to just do supply after Christmas unless something pops up between now and then if that helps.

Thanks in advance for help!

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

If you remain signed off until Christmas, that's that. However if you wish to attend an interview while signed off, I think you need to run that past your head - check with union.
    If you have belongings at the school or things belonging to the school at home, that will need to be sorted out at some point; probably the best thing is to arrange to go in after the end of the school day at some point after it becomes clear that you won't be back.

agathamorse and mothorchid like this.
  3. peapicker

peapicker Star commenter

If you have given notice you should be on full pay. Check you are not being paid a reduced wage.

agathamorse likes this.
  4. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I think @frustum has put it correctly. I would just say that it might be wiser to let your Head know of any interview, just in case something happens, such as an unexpected meeting between your current head and the new one, for example. Your current school know you are going, I don't mean that there would be anything underhand happening, it would just be better manners.
    I hope you recover soon and will be able to take up a job which doesn't make you ill.
    Good luck.

agathamorse likes this.
  5. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Yes, what frustum and mothorchid say. If you are signed off you are signed off. If offered another job they will ask about your sickness record and must disclose the actual dates but whether you physically return to your current employer's workplace before your contract terminates is of no relevance.

Make sure your GP stops signing you off from 1st January though if you are going to do supply or another f/t job from then. Assuming you are well by then, obviously.

agathamorse likes this.
  6. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Star commenter

At what point do they ask about or receive info on your sickness record, before or after offer of employment?

7. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Only after a job offer has been made. It can be (and in teaching usually is) an offer that is conditional on satisfactory health questionnaire. An employer should not receive health information before deciding whether to offer the job. If they do they must not take it into account in their decision-making. Although in practice it would be hard to prove if they did. s60 Equality Act 2010.

There are limited exceptions where an employer can ask before interview, not usually relevant to teaching. One-legged scaffolders who can't climb ladders is the example used by the EHRC of something you can ask about before interviewing!

agathamorse likes this.
  8. Geekygeordie

Geekygeordie New commenter

Brill thanks for the help people. Much appreciated

agathamorse likes this.