1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help with SENco interview please!

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by Sara78, May 18, 2019.

1. Sara78

Sara78 New commenter

Hi everyone, I'm lucky to have my first SENco interview next week...I'm very nervous as I'm not sure what to expect. I've been told that I will have a formal interview and do two activities will be given on the day?? Has anybody had a recent SEN interview and know what the activities may be? Also questions they may ask..

Thank you in advance

2. Flanks

Flanks Established commenter

I would expect something data based, and something scenario/paper based.

3. Sara78

Sara78 New commenter

Thank you Flanks

4. hughesa

hughesa New commenter

Hi,
    I recently had an interview where candidates were asked to complete the outcomes for a student with ADHD and compose a letter to parents.
    It's worth checking the local offer in the area and procedures for EHCPs.
    A.

5. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

A long time ago I was already Head of Curriculum Support and going for AT with responsibility for Inclusion . I had to write transition plans for students with complex needs and come up with a model for a ( funded ) MLD Base .... I suspect that the interviewing school may give you a student profile and ask that you provide guidance for staff or there may be a data exercise ? It may give you the school’s priority learning need and ask how you may address ? ...

6. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Re questions and if I were the Head .... along the lines of how do you make staff accountable for FQT , identify staff training needs , make documentation fit for purpose, define ‘ progress ‘ , ensure the right climate for learning , deploy additional adults, ensure provision is cost effective... crucially vision for inclusion.... ( and unless this and ethos shared by the LT you will struggle / be wasting your time ) ... and know in advance what your success / impact criteria looks like .... remember this is about leadership and management .... and probably nettles to be grasped ....Good Luck

7. Lucilla90

Lucilla90 Occasional commenter

There could be some sort of activity with a group of pupils, to see how you interact.