1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help with Salary??!!??

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by pedro1, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Hi,

Can anyone that is in the know clear something up for me?

I have just successfully completed my NQT year on £21,588 (assuming this is M1!?), do I automatically move onto M2 in September? My head hasn't informed me either way. OR is an NQT still just a 'practice year' and next year is classed as M1?

Confused :S

Thanks.

2. Hi,

Can anyone that is in the know clear something up for me?

I have just successfully completed my NQT year on £21,588 (assuming this is M1!?), do I automatically move onto M2 in September? My head hasn't informed me either way. OR is an NQT still just a 'practice year' and next year is classed as M1?

Confused :S

Thanks.

3. Faldamir12

Faldamir12 New commenter

Hi,
    After speaking to my local LEA they confirmed that I will move up to M2 from 1st September. I can imagine this will be the same for you, however it might be worth giving your LEA a call.
    Hope this helps

4. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

This is correct. If you have taught for 26 weeks during the last school year, you will advance automatically (well, the school must advance you) onto M2.
    Note to anyone else who is reading this: you advance to M2 (then M3 etc) in September if you've completed 26 weeks teaching in the previous academic year REGARDLESS OF WHETHER YOU'VE PASSED INDUCTION OR NOT. So, for instance, if your post is 0.5 and therefore you won't complete induction for another year, you will still advance to M2. If you don't, check this out as you should move on.

5. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Eva Smith is correct.
    Additionally, the 26 weeks don't have to be weeks in school. If you're on a contract you can count calendar weeks on paid holiday, paid sick leave, maternity leave etc. Daily paid supply teachers, paid by an LA, can only count weeks when they were actually in a school.
    For Pay progression, a 'week' can be a p/t week (even just one session or one day per week, for 26 separate weeks).