1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help with Romeo & Juliet essay title

Discussion in 'English' started by lil_irish_eyes, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Hey all,

Was wondering if you could help me. I'm looking for a good essay title/plan for a low ability Year 10 group preferably that focuses on the ballroom scene. I need something that can be very highly structured!

Anyone got any ideas??

Cheers!

Lil

2. Hey all,

Was wondering if you could help me. I'm looking for a good essay title/plan for a low ability Year 10 group preferably that focuses on the ballroom scene. I need something that can be very highly structured!

Anyone got any ideas??

Cheers!

Lil

3. What about, 'Explore the importance of this scene to the rest of the play'? I'm sure it could be better worded but something like this would mean although students focus on this scene they show knowledge of the rest of the play. I've got some resources which might be useful in the key stage 4 directory of www.morelearning.net - just scroll through the list for a couple on this scene. One summarises key points and the other is a resource for students to complete.

4. It's not the ballroom scene, but I'm currently working on R and J with my low ability year 10s and they're looking at the relationship that Juliet has with her parents and how it changes. The essay title is

Examine act 1 scene 3, and act 3 scene 5 lines 59-235 of 'Romeo and Juliet' . What do you think of Juliet's parents and her nurse? Do you agree with the way they treat juliet?

My class have jumped on the rights and wrongs of parenting and it has provoked much debate! Especially the bit where Capulet hurls abuse at his daughter.

I don't know if it will be any use but I've also made an entire pack (for students) to work through this question. It is highly structured because of the nature of my class, and each section should in theory lead to a section of the essay being drafted.

If you think it might be any use drop me your email, I'm happy to forward the whole thing to you, along with a couple of powerpoints to support.

Jodirola

5. Hi Jodirola,

I'd be really grateful if you could send me a copy of your pack. Im a PGCEr on my final placement and this sounds like a brilliant resource that I could use or adapt for my Y10s. My email is debtownsen@hotmail.com.

Thanks xx

6. You have mail :)

7. Hi Lil,

I have a very structured essay plan for Act I, scene V which is the Lord Capulet's party scene. Is this the one you'd like? Do you have an email address I could mail it to?

Miss Fi

8. Hi, Jodirola and Miss Fi, am also trying to plan something for my very low ability yr 11, coursework. May I ask to see your resources, they might be appropriate. Thanks.

meera1701@yahoo.co.uk

9. Suzannne

Suzannne New commenter

It sounds like you're already sorted but in case you still haven't found what you're looking for, a good general starting point when devising any GCSE coursework title is to focus on one or two of the following:

- language

- structure

- characterisation

- themes

- dramatic devices

Also, your question has to enable students to achieve the highest grade they are capable of, for example, to get an A/A* (although your low ability group may not be of this level), students have to have included an evaluation of the writer's methods so it is somethimes helpful to refer to this in the question.

....So, you can make a question on act 1, scene 5 by focusing the discussion on something like 'How does Shakespeare use language to develop his characterisation of Romeo and Juliet (or other characters if you like) and how dramatically effective are his methods'.

I have worked loads with low ability year 10s and found that using technical language in the titles gives them a confidence boost (when they discover what it all means, that is!), but it is annoying when you spend ages coming up with the perfect title only for them to write 'Shakespeare SA' on the top of their paper!

Good luck xxx

10. Hi Miss Fi!

That would be absolutely wonderful and I would really appreciate it. My address is lil_irish_sockmonster@hotmail.com.

If I can repay the favour in any way let me know!

Ta,

Lil x

11. Hi Miss Fi!

That would be absolutely wonderful and I would really appreciate it. My address is lil_irish_sockmonster@hotmail.com.

If I can repay the favour in any way let me know!

Ta,

Lil x

12. Hi Lil,

I've emailed you the plan- hope it helps and have a good weekend,

Fi x

13. Jodirola

Hi - Im struggling with my bottom set Year 11 class and am desperate to get a piece of coursework out of them. Any chance you could send me your marvellous sow?

kimtaaffee@yahoo.co.uk

14. You have mail [​IMG]

15. re:your resource pack and PPts for the relationship between Juliet and her parents.

I know you posted this a while ago, but do you still have it? if so I'd be very grateful for a copy.

veggiemight!@yahoo.com

Thank you
    Bodkin

16. would love the pack!
    giselahazilias@hotmail.com

17. Hi, I know it was a while since this was posted but would it be possible to email me your pack?It sounds perfect for what I am currently trying to develop. Thanks, Sally
    e-mail : smiller@lerondin.sch.gg

18. RaymondSoltysek

RaymondSoltysek New commenter

How about

"Romeo is a spotty, obnoxious, hormonal, sex-obsessed pain in the backside who should have been killed off at the first available opportunity in the play"

Discuss.

[​IMG]