1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help with resources needed, please

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by musiclover1, Mar 24, 2019.

1. musiclover1

musiclover1 New commenter

Hi everyone

I left classroom languages teaching in 2012 after a bad experience, but I now tutor a 15-year old girl for GCSE German. She has a German mum but is not bilingual. We have the Higher Level GCSE German book and I am also an AQA examiner for the writing paper, but I am finding it really difficult to locate additional resources. I don't even have the listening CDs for the textbook, because they are available for schools and would cost a lot of money for me to buy just for one pupil. The only set of past papers is also accessible for school teachers only. Would anyone be prepared to recommend some resources that I should buy (for example books for reading and listening practice), or to share some of their own resources with me, such as lists of typical aural questions? Any advice or information would be much appreciated.

2. suelangstuition

suelangstuition New commenter

CGP GCSE German Translation Skills The Workbook, CGP GCSE AQA German Exam Practice Workbook (includes free online audio), Pearson Revise AQA GCSE (9-1) Revision Workbook (includes online audio), Pearson Stimmt! AQA Grammar and Translation Workbook. All reasonably priced. I make my living tutoring and use these resources all the time.

agathamorse and musiclover1 like this.
  3. cake4tea

cake4tea New commenter

Resources on exam board website.

agathamorse likes this.
  4. musiclover1

musiclover1 New commenter

Thank you for these, suggestions. I will buy the books. I have tried the exam board website and found that the past papers weren't freely accessible (other than the specimen paper, which we have used), but I'll try again.

agathamorse likes this.
  5. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

Is she learning entirely with you (ie not doing German at school)? And she being entered for the exam through the school?
    If so, then you (or she) could ask the school whether they are able to access past papers for you. Often the most recent ones are behind a password so that schools can use them as mocks without worrying that pupils will have seen them, but they might be able to let you have them - if she's entered through school, it would be in their interests.

agathamorse likes this.