1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help with resignation please!

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by hana54, Jul 13, 2015.

1. hana54

hana54 New commenter

Hi,

Hope this is the right forum to be posting in! I've recently returned to work from maternity leave (part time) and I am finding it extremely difficult to be both a good mum and a good teacher. I've thought long and hard about all my options and decided that it would be best if I resigned and took up supply work for the next couple of years as it is more flexible.

Do you think it would be better if I resigned now or waited until September/October time? It sounds stupid but I'm worried that the headteacher will be annoyed at my decision (as they were good enough to approve my part time hours) and it will be awkward for the rest of the term. I'm also concerned about letting my class in September down as I would be leaving them part way through the year. In an ideal world I would see the year through but I have to put my child first.

Also, what do I need to include in my resignation letter? I really don't want to burn any bridges with them and I will be contacting them for references in the future. I know I have to work my notice until December, but is there a way of wording the letter to say that if they find a suitable replacement earlier I am happy to leave before then?

Sorry for the long rambling post- I just want to get this right.

Thanks x

2. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

First of all there is no contractual reason for you to inform the HT know, but I imagine most HTs would appreciate as much notice as possible. However in case your circumstances change, I think I'd wait until September if I were you. Just in case.

As for the wording, what about something like:

'Dear ....,

I am writing to let you know that I am resigning my post as part-time teacher at....with effect from 31 December, meaning that my last day at school will be..... Can I also add that, should you manage to find a replacement who can start before December, I would be happy to discuss an earlier finishing date with you?

I would like to thank you for supporting my change to part-time, and as you know I had hoped that this would enable me to balance the demands of both my new family and the school. Unfortunately I now can see that this isn't possible, and I feel that the decision I have taken is in the best interests of both the pupils and myself.

Yours etc.'

3. hana54

hana54 New commenter

Thank you! I was really struggling with how to word it.

4. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

Good advice from FF. I would add a bit about thanking the leadership and governors for their support throughout your employment, not only in changing your hours to part time though.

I wouldn't say anything for now. Their is no benefit for anyone. I would leave it until september. You may feel differently after the holidays have given you time to re-evaluate. I know you are a sensible poster from what you have posted, but just make sure it is what you want. It is not easy to:

(1) earn a living from supply

(2) get back in if you are away for a prolonged period of time, particularly if only doing day to day supply when you are not keeping your professional development up.

Are you a new mum who in actual fact is doing a really good job at being a mother and a teacher but just can't see it?

If you are sure then fine, just go in with your eyes open and don't do anything hasty.

5. hana54

hana54 New commenter

Thank you dynamo67, you've given me something else to think about- I hadn't really considered the fact that I would not be keeping my professional development up. I'm lucky enough to not need to make a full time living from supply, and I will be supplementing it with tutoring as well. I will wait until September I think.