1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help with reception class planning please!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by zln23, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Hi I wonder if anyone can help me or give me any advice! Ive recently taken up a new post in a school as a reception class teacher but am struggling with the planning. Its mainly the weekly planning sheet that all of us in the early years are having trouble with; having not as yet in our opinion formed an effective weekly sheet. We were told by the LA to just use a blank sheet of paper and write things on it as and when they happen in class, but I would prefer to at least have a structured planning sheet even if a lot of the activities written on it are spontaneous ones. At present we have a sheet with Mon-Fri written at the side of a grid then across the top each area such as CLL etc; however I do not feel this is necessarily best practice. Could anyone help by showing me an example of their weekly planning sheet, if so id be very grateful!!

2. Hi I wonder if anyone can help me or give me any advice! Ive recently taken up a new post in a school as a reception class teacher but am struggling with the planning. Its mainly the weekly planning sheet that all of us in the early years are having trouble with; having not as yet in our opinion formed an effective weekly sheet. We were told by the LA to just use a blank sheet of paper and write things on it as and when they happen in class, but I would prefer to at least have a structured planning sheet even if a lot of the activities written on it are spontaneous ones. At present we have a sheet with Mon-Fri written at the side of a grid then across the top each area such as CLL etc; however I do not feel this is necessarily best practice. Could anyone help by showing me an example of their weekly planning sheet, if so id be very grateful!!

3. hurny

hurny New commenter

I have a weekly planning sheet which has these sections:
    • The 6 areas of learning (to write in the activities you will be doing based on children's day to day interests).
    • Focus Activity overview: Mon- Fri (includes guided reading/writing later on in the year)
    • Whole class session/s overview: Mon-Fri
    • Phonics overview: Mon-Fri
    • Special events
    • The 3 Focus children's activities overview (based on their Individual PLOD).
    I enlarge it to A3 size so it is easier to write on.
    If you are interested, send me your email and I will forward it on to you.

4. GemsEYFS

GemsEYFS New commenter

Hi, Could i please have a look at your nursery planning?
    I am a nursery teacher and ffindd it extrmely useful to look at and adapt my planning to see which is the most effective. Thank you
    gemmaparker1@hotmail.co.uk

5. hurny

hurny New commenter

I will put the document in my resources under 'Short term planning', just click on my user name.

6. I would be very grateful if you would send me your planning template.
    mary_t_maning @yahoo.co.uk

7. rainbow13

rainbow13 Occasional commenter

Thanks Hurny - just found your planning sheet in the resources. Love the way it's all there on one page.

8. hurny

hurny New commenter

Glad it has been of use to you. I display it on the planning board and update it everyday when necessary. I also found it useful to write evaluations of the activities on the back of the sheet to inform the next day's activities.

9. I'm confused by the short term planning too.....
    I'd like to create a sheet similar to yours giving an outline of the adult led/ initiated activities planned for each area of learning the week - is that enough or do you write a detailed activity plan for each adult led/ initiated activity too?

10. Msz

Msz Established commenter

11. hurny

hurny New commenter