1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help with preserving my voice!

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by JemmaK, Feb 8, 2011.

1. I am seeking help for a perhaps unusual issue!
    I am half way through my PGCE year and am finding that I have a constant sore throat that began shortly after I started my first placement! I dont excessively shout at school/college or raise my voice that much, but find it just keeps coming back. Docs say theres no medical problem, so can anyone give any advice on how I can preserve my poor throat before it goes and affects my voice?!
    Many Thanks

2. I am seeking help for a perhaps unusual issue!
    I am half way through my PGCE year and am finding that I have a constant sore throat that began shortly after I started my first placement! I dont excessively shout at school/college or raise my voice that much, but find it just keeps coming back. Docs say theres no medical problem, so can anyone give any advice on how I can preserve my poor throat before it goes and affects my voice?!
    Many Thanks

3. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

Hi PFF! Fancy seeing you here!
    If you get a sore throat, DON'T use lozenges/sweets/sprays. Don't try to use your voice when it goes - especially to whisper.
    Pineapple juice good; alcohol and caffeine bad.

4. [​IMG] If there is one thing in life I am really good at, it is protecting my voice!

5. May I add a vote for voice coaching. It's a shame we no longer have all the elocution teachers that used to be around. But I'm sure you could find a drama or similar coach to help you with clarity and diction to reduce the need to overproduce (or strangle or whatever it si that you do) your voice.

6. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

Me too!