1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help with Polish Child?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Penguin1212, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Hi!
    I have had a boy start this Autumn (Year 6) from Poland, he has no English and I am trying but feeling a little lost to be honest. I have had EAL pupils start before but they have always had a little bit of extra support which has been invaluable. Our EAL support is now permanently attached to a class and its not really possible for her to be involved although she has been great with advice. I have other Polish children in class who have been a godsend in translating for me, they are fluent in both languages but I worry that this is holding his attempts to speak English back because he has them to translate. Also he can be a little distracting to these pupils (probably more to frustration than him being a pain) and its not fair on them. I have tried to translate everything into polish for him, so he can access it, but I have minimal time with him - I try to give him some time as the children are working independently but my class are very needy and this causes more of a distraction especially as I am trying to talk with him whilst expecting the others to work in silence. I have been using the British Council Website ---- I have all major phrases translated and my Polish girls are helping me pronounce these so I can try and converse.....over the past 7 days he now knows his colours, numbers to 20, all his letter sounds. Am I expecting too much? What should I do, I want to give him more than I am but I also have other pupils who need me? Plus after my first practice reading paper today 6/17 got an N! In addition to this I have a boy from Kuwait and I am struggling with him and his language - he seems to understand English but is not very forthcoming in chatting says yes all the time and I have a girl from the Phillepenes starting in a few weeks...! Sorry a little rant but any advice would be so willingly accepted ---- OH yeh to add on my Polish boy is dyslexic!!!!....

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Read all the advice on the thread about a child from Tobago. Similar situation.