1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help with poetry please

Discussion in 'Primary' started by auntmatilda, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Sorry for repeat posting
    I am teaching one lesson next week to rec/yr1 we are writing a poem together.
    Could someone please help me with what I tell the children we are learning to do?
    Writing in a different style,rhyming words (but not necessarily), using describing words?
    What do we want the children to learn when we teach poetry? Sorry if I am being dense.
    Thanks for any help

2. Sorry for repeat posting
    I am teaching one lesson next week to rec/yr1 we are writing a poem together.
    Could someone please help me with what I tell the children we are learning to do?
    Writing in a different style,rhyming words (but not necessarily), using describing words?
    What do we want the children to learn when we teach poetry? Sorry if I am being dense.
    Thanks for any help

3. The Magic Box by Kit Wright is a lovely poem. Google this and there are lots of lovely ideas. http://www.fieryideas.com/index.asp has great little program to use with Kit Wright's The Magic Box. (In freebies section) Pupils spin the cards and then use the object, character and setting to make a wish to put in a magic box.
    Or what about a Recipe Poem
    Take a cupful of
    Add
    Mix
    Stir
    And now you have the perfect recipe for a ....

Or go on a senses walk (see, hear, feel touch, taste)
    Take a walk through /around
    And maybe you will see
    a
    a
    or a
    Take a walk through ....

Good Luck

4. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

Alliteration?

Similies - I know they are rec/yr1 but you could put some basic similes together and ask the children to finish them off.

5. Surely it is up to you what you want them to learn? And that would be your learning objective.
    And remember poems don't have to rhyme.
    JSY x