1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

help with PHAB

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by mangotango, Sep 19, 2009.

1. I am trying to score up a phab assessment and have the responses and standard score sheets in front of me but NOT the manual - can anyone clarify - do I use the total number of seconds to complete BOTH rapid picture naming measures e.g add then together and then find a standard score from it and the same with the digit naming or is it an average of the two measures ? Hoping to get this done today.

2. I am trying to score up a phab assessment and have the responses and standard score sheets in front of me but NOT the manual - can anyone clarify - do I use the total number of seconds to complete BOTH rapid picture naming measures e.g add then together and then find a standard score from it and the same with the digit naming or is it an average of the two measures ? Hoping to get this done today.

3. I thought I could help but have realised my PhAB manual is at school. I'm not certain of the right answer so won't risk telling you the wrong one now, but if you still need to know by Monday I can give you the definitive answer then!

4. yes please - that woulkd be great ! I haven't used the test for a few years also I wondered if it necessary to add any seconds for errors ? Thank you so much for bothering

5. Any luck with that phab ? I haven't laid hands on that manual yet ? I have the test- just wanted to know if raw score for naming speed is total seconds for both trials of each test.Haven't done it for a while. Have done the assessments but not scored it up. Thanks - have a great half term

6. Oh dear ..... I'm really sorry but it went right out of my head, and it's now half term so I won't get to see the manual for another week. So sorry to let you down. Perhaps someone else will havwe the manual to hand? If not, I promise to try to remember to check it after 2nd November! (And you have my permission to badger me again ...)[​IMG]

7. As luck would have it I have a paper to mark and the manual so will just quote from the recording and scoring part of hte naming speed test:

"For each card enter on the Record Form the elapsed time to the nearest second"

You then add the totals of the two cards in seconds but I don't <u>think</u> you make it an average.

Hope this helps - let me know if you need anything else!

8. In case you haven't yet seen a manual, you add the 2 scores from the picture naming and then look up the SS. Same for the digit naming. (No averages)

9. Thank you so much ! I did think I was remembering it correctly but this child scored so significantly low 69 (which does makes sense considering where it sits with the rest of profile)
    I just wanted to be double double sure before I speak to the parents - it is a processing / word retrieval problem - she was much faster on the digits
    pictures total time 147 SS 69
    digits total time 63 SS 92
    It seems she can name the digits because they just are numbers whereas the pictures need to be seen and then thinking about which word is needed - likewise her rhyming oddities was high she could spot which words rhymed SS 99 but couldn't think of many in the rhyming fluency SS 86 and the semantic fluency was SS 89 - its like she just can't find the words
    Thanks for your help I now have the confidence to proceed - was feeling a bit rusty after not assessing for a while

10. I need help with converting the raw score to SS for the Picture naming speed and the Digits as well.
    Once I have added up the results of the two cards for each, I then get confused finding the SS on the Tables A6.5 and the A6.6. From the raw value, going horizontally, there are 18 raws of values. At the top they are represented with ex. 6.00 - 6.05, 6:06 - 6;11 etc.
    I haven't got the manual with me and need help.
    Thanks in advance. AG