1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help with p/t request

Discussion in 'Part-time and job share' started by jessicajane, Sep 1, 2017.

1. jessicajane

jessicajane New commenter

Hi

I'm returning to work in December after maternity leave and our flexible working policy says I need to write about impact on the school. Obvious thing are:
    Communication
    Parents evenings
    meetings on days not working
    cost to the school- who teaches on your days of. Really unsure on how to address this one.

Anything I might have missed?

Feeling really anxious

2. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

Primary or secondary?

The last one doesn't need to be "cost" - they will be saving on your salary - whether the total cost goes up or down depends on whether the new recruit is cheaper than you or more expensive. The issue is that (assuming primary, or job-share in secondary) the school will need to recruit a part-timer to teach on the days you are not teaching. You don't need to say more on that, although if you can comment that there was a good field last time there was a part-time post advertised (or at a neighbouring school), or that there are supply teachers locally who would be interested in a part-time post, then you've signalled that "we can't recruit a replacement" shouldn't be grounds for refusal.

I think that issue is actually the first one. For the others, much of explaining how the impact can be lessened is a question of explaining how you could liaise with your job-share, so that you cover the parents evenings/meetings between you without any detriment to the school/pupils, and how you manage the communication side of things. If you have effective job-share arrangements in the school already, you can look at how they manage things.

3. jessicajane

jessicajane New commenter

Thank you for your reply.
    We have a regular supply teacher who currently works part time so hopefully that won't be an issue. I think I am beginning to get a rough draft together.

4. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

I want to ask whether the list has come from you, or whether those suggestions are made in the school's policy?

Be careful not to make a rod for your own back. Remember that a part-time worker has rights. No-one can be made to attend meetings, training or parents' evenings on a non-work day. If you wish to volunteer to do so and the school wishes you to attend, you should be paid for your additional time or given time off in lieu.

Whatever the school policy may say, are you aware that an employer may only refuse a request for one or more of eight business reasons? There is good information about this on the ACAS website and I have seen a number of useful references on union websites too.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017