1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help with open questions

Discussion in 'Science' started by ebramley, Feb 2, 2012.

1. look at www.mantleoftheexpert.com, articles, Questions, Questions, Questions by Micheal Bunting. Brilliant resource!!

2. AshgarMary

AshgarMary New commenter

Wow thanks for that link, never heard of that, but it ties in perfectly with a few ideas I've been having!

3. I don't know if it would help you, but I find it helps to put on my "child hat" when coming up with open questions - you know the ones - things like "why is the sky blue?". In the sciences I feel comfortable with (biology, chemistry) I take a look at the topic/lessons I'm teaching and try to figure out those little-kid questions - like "why does acid dissolve stuff", "why do humans only usually have one baby", and of course the old favourite opener "what if..." - and add a few to my lesson plan.
    I find physics a bit easier to plan open questions for, because if I come across something I don't know, the whole topic becomes an open question. Maybe you could look at a topic you know very little about (if there is one) and see where your mind naturally takes you to explore the topic and learn? That might help you find your 'child hat'!

Hope I helped a bit.
    -Kami

4. AshgarMary

AshgarMary New commenter

I came across this in my travels last night: It's a Question Creation Chart. You might find it useful.

The link opens directly to a PDF file.

http://educationoasis.com/curriculum/GO/GO_pdf/Q_Chart.pdf

5. oirfian

oirfian New commenter

Thanks for those replies. they are really good.

6. alessio

alessio Administrator

I recently uploaded this game on TES as a way to get learners to generate their own questions http://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/Question-Doom-A-question-game-6170747/
    Let me know how your students responded to it, if you're using it!
    Thanks!