1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help with Of Mice and Men Plenary

Discussion in 'English' started by thesmallfabric, Apr 11, 2011.

1. I am a PGCE student and will be observed after Easter. I have prepared a lesson the themes from Of Mice and Men for an able Year 11 group and am struggling with a plenary.The lesson objective is to identify the main themes in Of Mice and Men and a series of tasks to find quites etc. My original pleary idea was to put up an exam style question and ask pupils to create a plan for it but the class teacher doesn not think they will have enough time. Has anyone got any ideas for plenaries in this area?

2. Apologies for the typos - too may hours staring at the screen!
    This should be the correct post.

I am a PGCE student and will be observed after Easter. I have prepared
    a lesson on the themes from Of Mice and Men for an able Year 11 group and
    I am struggling with a plenary.The lesson objective is to identify the
    main themes in Of Mice and Men and a series of tasks to find quotes etc.
    My original plenary idea was to put up an exam style question and ask
    pupils to create a plan for it but the class teacher doesn't think
    they will have enough time. Has anyone got any ideas for plenaries in
    this area?

3. sweetie1

sweetie1 New commenter

How about turning your idea around. They write an exam style question linked to one of the themes they have learnt about. Take feedback from a few students then set the planning bit for homework.

4. englishtt06

englishtt06 Occasional commenter

That's an excellent idea about turning the exam question around - think I'll use that myself. Another idea I have used is picture cards of each of the main characters (playing cards sized - I used the actors from the film!) and in small groups or pairs they have to create diagrams showing: least to most powerful, or least to most lonely - or, as a challenge, a diagram to show both etc etc etcThey have to be prepared to justify their choices (a quote to support each placement etc.). Resources colour printed them and laminated so you can use again and again. Of course, this would depend on which themes you wanted to focus on specifically! As an extension, I get larger cards and blue tack to place on the board to and then the class support/argue each placement (if time!).

5. Some great ideas - many thanks. I am struggling at the moment and tried and tested ideas are worth so much.
    Thank you for taking the time and trouble to reply.

6. thequillguy

thequillguy New commenter

Superb ideas with this.

If you have the time to plan a great lesson on PGCE, I would consider giving them several different plans for the same question, and have them evaluate which they prefer and why. You could also provide a list of ideas in terms of how they could respond for utmost differentiated (i.e. 'it makes it less boring' up to 'I can see how much paragraphs can link coherently'.

Even the weakest students will realise that having a quote attached to a relevant paragraph is better and a bullet point listing of notes.