1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

help with observation!!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by nstock88, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Hi,
    was wondering if someone would be able to help me! I have just been informed I have been short listed for a teaching job in a year 2 class. On friday I am being observed teaching a year 2/3 class in a literacy session. The session is only going to be half hour long and needs to include modelling for writing! Im having a bit of a stress as i have so many different ideas...
    I was thinking ok reading little red riding hood to the class and then informing them that I am not just a teacher but also an investigator searching for the bad wolf. I will ask the children if they have seen him and also what they think he may look like. Once we have had a discussion I will ask them to help me write wanted posters and model what i want it to look like, before sending them off to create their own. They will only have 10 minutes to do it and then they will come back and i will choose one or two children to read theres out for me to close the session.
    does this sound ok? If anyone has any other suggestions i would really appreciate it!
    thanks!!!

2. greta444

greta444 New commenter

Sounds a bit young to me. Try a slightly older story... but I suppose they need to know the text pretty well.

3. yeah i know what you mean, was thinking of doing a slightly older story but as ive only got half an hour I wanted to do something that doesnt need to take a while to explain! Any ideas on books for slightly older children that they might already know?

4. What a great idea for an interview lesson! I teach year 2 and they would love that idea, I don't think that they will find the story too young and they will love the investigation part. Stick with it, you'll be fab!

5. I think the story is ok, its how you sell it.
    What about speech bubbles, they take less time and are easier to differentiate with an unknown class ( you didnt mention differentiation)
    You could get them to make up new sentences that the wolf and LRRH say to each other when they first meet / when they are at Grandmas then write in speech bubbles
    You could have pictures of the police officer and grandma talking and they fill in the speech bubbles with their conversation.
    Then less able can write short sentences, ma add connectives, exclamation marks, question marks, get some puppets ( hold up pictures) do some drama then send off for writing- wouldnt take you long.....
    p.s. my year 2's have just done this and they wrote some incredible work.
    the clever year 3's can add wow words, descriptions, feelings....
    Good luck, go get that job x

6. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

Think carefully about what the objective for the lesson is.

I would think the wanted poster would be a good way of teaching about adjectives.

Wanted a huge, stinky bad wolf who has been terrorizing beautiful, young girls in the local area.

Have you seen this evil animal?

Just make sure the l.o. is clear.

7. Make sure your LO is very clear and your lesson links to that LO.
    I think LRRH is absolutely fine and not too young at all.