1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help with Obese Running

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Thejumpingjew, May 3, 2012.

1. Thejumpingjew

Thejumpingjew New commenter

Hi - I am a 20st teacher who is trying to lose weight - I have lost a stone already, but want to try running. Will this be safe on my knees?

I am worried about doing permanent damage. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Also if anyone in the Bristol area fancies a run and showing a newbie the ropes that would be great - drop us a line!

2. Thejumpingjew

Hi - I am a 20st teacher who is trying to lose weight - I have lost a stone already, but want to try running. Will this be safe on my knees?

I am worried about doing permanent damage. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Also if anyone in the Bristol area fancies a run and showing a newbie the ropes that would be great - drop us a line!

3. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I wouldn't, to be honest!

4. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

Do some power walking first. Build up to running. There are some great websites around to help build up your running.
    Good for you, and good luck. :))

5. Ruthie66

Ruthie66 New commenter

I'd try power walking - lower impact so better for your knees but still good at calorie burning. I tried to build up to running a 5km last year but my knees kept getting painful if I trained even every other day. In the end I alternated jogging and walking round the 5km.

6. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

As long as you have the correct shoes and you observe good running technique, I think you would be fine to try running. Obviously, no matter what your weight, you should always start gently.
    How about trying the Couch to 5km programme? You can download the app on your ipod or phone. It'll start you off 'jogging' for just one minute, followed by 90 seconds walking and will repeat this for 20 minutes. Over the 9 weeks it gradually build you up. But you could always repeat weeks if you're finding if too much of a step up (there's quite a leap at one point in the running increments which can be difficult).
    Definitely, DEFINITELY get the correct shoes before running though. Find a running shop or sport shop that will measure your 'gait'. This will involved running for a few steps only on a treadmill while someone assesses how your foot lands as you run. Then they will recommend a shoe with the appropriate support. Simply buying bushioned soles is not sufficient. Trust me....I didn't buy the right shoes at first because I wanted to see if I would stick with running before shelling out the cash. By the time I decided I enjoyed it, I'd already given myself shin splints and couldn't run for weeks.
    Good luck. Perhaps consider joining in with the 'Beginners Exercise Thread' (do a search) and share your success? That thread needs reviving anyway now that summer is approaching!
    Eva x x

7. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Or get an exercise bike (or ordinary bike) so that it supports your weight while you build up some more muscle ...

8. Tigger1962

Tigger1962 New commenter

I would be wary until you have lost a bit more as your knee, hip and ankle joints will take a real pounding
    Have you considered Nordic Walking with poles - if you get the right technique it burns 30% more calories than power walking as it works the warms and torso and distributes the weight to protect joints. I read somewhere that the Swedish skiing team uses it to reduce injuries

9. Tigger1962

Tigger1962 New commenter

10. Thejumpingjew

Thanks for all the advice - It is worth saying to many that just because I am 20st does not mean I am not active - I can happily do an hour or so work out at the gym and use the crosstrainer and excercise bike at a reasonable level for 20 minutes or so, so I am not "just starting" on the exercise thing.

I do however understand the issues with joints - It is a concern - I think I will take on the advice on powerwalking first and try to lose another stone or two.

My problem is, and always has been, stress eating - I eat a healthy diet, but when stressed I always feel the need to eat - not just unhealthy food - Just anything. I am working on a diet (Coursework time is never easy) but am determined to put it right in the summer - gym every other day and I will walk the other ones!

11. Have you ever seen Biggest Loser?
    Boy do they get those contestants running!!!

12. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

You have to differentiate between voyeur TV and real life ...

13. Tigger1962

Tigger1962 New commenter

..... and some of the contstants suffer terrible injuries but they are not allowed to talk about these because of the contracts that the show makes people sign

14. 576

576 Established commenter

Consult your GP!
    They should be able to give you better advice than any of us as they actually know you.
    But I will say to you what the physio said to me when I tried to re-start running after hurting my ankle.
    Take it really easy because your lungs and heart will adapt to the exercise more quickly than your joints.

15. in the past i've done couch to 5k at about your weight - took me a good 3 weeks or so to be able to do week 1 - i had to start with half the set of 30 second runs and build from there - but i did clear the programme - albeit on a gym treadmill... with no injuries. make sure you're fit enough to comfortably WALK 30 minutes plus first though!
    would say to definitely get yourself fitted properly for shoes though first!
    apologies for lack of capital letters - baby on lap.

16. all_heart

all_heart New commenter

How about running on grass and not pavement, isn't it meant to absorb some shock therefore less shock/pressure on your joints.

17. I don't have a weight issue, but am not at all fit. My OH is overweight, but fit and active. From my experience, I wouldn't do running yet. Could you afford gym membership? The advantage is the routine and advice tailored to your needs. Do please ask your doc. for advice and support. You might be pleasantly surprised and find there is a class or membership which could help. Good luck with your endeavours anyway.

18. Gut

Gut

I was 20st at the start of last year too and it was running that turned things around for me. I just decided one day I would start running so I bought the right shoes (not only does it protect you from injury but also spending the money forces you to actually do the running!).Like you I was already a little active for such a large man, I could do some time at the gym, play a little football or a squash game but never did anything consistently.

First time I tried running 3 miles, I had to walk parts of it. A week later I went again and managed to do the whole 3 miles without walking (although was running very slow at times). I also started swimming so that I had an activity alongside running that didn't put any stress on the joints. 6 months later I had lost 5 stones and I've now done 10ks and triathlons and am looking forward to a half marathon.

If in doubt go ask your doctor but if you've never had knee trouble before the odds are that you'll be fine going for a run. Good luck and if you have any more questions send me a PM.

19. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

There is also a school of thought that suggests that the unstable running surface (which grass is) causes more vibrations through the lower leg as the foot lands, therefore making one more susceptible to getting shin splints (which are miseraby painful and render you pretty much useless for anthing except swimming for months).
    The treadmill has a similar effect because of the slight vibration created as the foot impact the machine.
    I personally prefer running/walking outside because of the natural challenge of hills, steps and puddles to jump over. However, there are pros and cons to each (inside and out). I have just always justified myself by saying 'as long as I'm wearing the correct shoes and observing good running technique, I'm doing everything I can'. After all, the physical and psychological benefits of the exercise probably outweigh the risks.