1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

help with news for display

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by Helena Handbasket, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Helena Handbasket

Helena Handbasket New commenter

Hi,

I was hoping you lovely people might help me. I started a display on the corridor outside my room called 'Religion in the News'. The theory was to surround the map with headlines from around the world about religious things/issues. I am fine with Europe and the Middle East and I have some great stuff from Africa.

Does anyone know where I could get some things from Aus/South America and the Far East please?

Thanks

2. durgamata

durgamata Occasional commenter

The obvious thing is to try the Web. Try Googling different countries and news. Also try religious charities work in the different countries etc - so you dont just pick up on the bad news!

I just read Stones to Schools (sequel to Three Cups of Tea) There is a lot positive about Pakistan, Afghanistan and Islam in it . Could be worth reading bits to classes and photocopying bits for the display. I guess there is a lot like that - also some films / TV progs which you might be able to show bits of.

Did anyone watch Women, Weddings and War about a week ago. i was in tears. So was the 20 year old British Afghan girl, just out of uni - who the BBC followed on a visit to meet relatives and see what's happening in Afghanistan. She came here with her family when she was 6 years old.
    You can get KS4 ish age students to write reviews on any programes or films they have seen which have a significant religious aspect. The big thing to come from the Women W W programme is that the problem for women is related to culture and not to Islam. Islam went a long way to promoting equality and fairness. It features some wonderful and courageous women in Afghanistan who are champiionning this awareness and working for change.

3. New Zealand earthquake?

4. Helena Handbasket

I assure you I am not just giving a negative view. I have included lots of positive things such as the rebuilding of a Buddha statue in Afghanistan and the Vatican producing an Iphone app to help people give confession. I do think it is important to give balanced views and not just happy things all the time as it isn't realistic and doesn't help anyone.

I hadn't even considered the quake. Feeling quite sheepish now! I can mention the cathedral collapse. Thanks for the hint.

5. Helena Handbasket

Thanks for that, I have got some for America but I want to be constantly updating so that website will come in handy