1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help with new pupil

Discussion in 'Primary' started by fella, Jul 8, 2011.

1. fella

fella New commenter

Hello i am a teacher of Geography at KS3 and 4. At our school we have been told that we have a new year 7 pupil joining next year, that has some severe learning difficulties.The pupils current assessments all indicate attainment is still on the P scale (i only found out what this is today!) so not even yet NC level 1.
    I wanted to know if anyone can recommend any materials or advice on how to deliver a suitable geaography curriculum to someone of this ability in a mixed ability class? The pupil will be given individual LSA support in 'most' lessons, but i have no experience of teaching at this level and i would really benefit from some advice.

Many thanks.

2. If this pupil truly is P levels, I would be expected some high level autism or similar! The only upper KS2 child in our school still on P-levels is an autistic child who has one to one support and cannot communicate verbally.
    If they can communicate etc normally and function in other ways, I would be expected a child who does not know how to work with numbers above 10, cannot read anything other that CVC words (Cat, dog, sat, etc) and cannot write a sentence. The only way I could imagine you could support this child would be by making your lessons as practical as possible. If there are no underlying issues or medical diagnosis that is being catered for then the primary school have really, REALLY failed this child. Even our poorest Y6 children would leave Y6 at level 1.

3. essentiallyprincess

essentiallyprincess New commenter

I spent my last placement in an infant school. This meant I asked questions about P Scales. Apparently (and this does make sense) the later stages of a p scales is very similar to L1. I asked in particular because as a primary degree we didn't really cover p scales for assessment. I took an SEN module so we touched on it but not as much as the EYFS module. Therefore I would imagine that if you focus on Level 1 if at all possible you should be ok.