1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help with new Maths curriculum

Discussion in 'Primary' started by hotchoc6, Aug 14, 2015.

1. hotchoc6

hotchoc6 Occasional commenter

Can someone please clarify exactly what these statements mean please:

Calculate mathematical statements for multiplication and division within the multiplication tables and write them using the multiplication, division and equals sign.

Use place value and number facts to solve problems.

For the new curriculum, is there anywhere online you can look at examples for each statement?

Would be grateful for any help. Thank you.

2. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

www.ncetm.org.uk/.../41211 has exemplification for the objectives. You need to register but there are lots of very useful resources!

3. hotchoc6

hotchoc6 Occasional commenter

Thank you for the reply. Clicked on your link and it didn't work. Tried googling it too and still no luck. Has the website address changed?

4. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Perhaps you need to be logged in already to use the link. If you just google National Centre for Excellence in Mathematics and then look for resources, you should get there!

Try

www.google.co.uk/search

5. summlard

summlard New commenter

I tend to just google the statements I'm unsure of. Something pops up normally!

6. Malenko

Malenko New commenter

First one just sounds like a long winded way of saying single line, single digit multiplication (or up to 12, because it says "within the multiplication tables" but for Y2, probably not 12s unless with visual methods) i.e. a x b = ? (with numbers for the letters obviously). NCTEM mentions arrays (always a good basis for early multiplication I think, gives them a possible method, easy to link with division, easy to point out commutative law) and points to www.bbc.co.uk/.../standard.shtml . And the multiplication and division game there is similar to the missing symbols one here mathsframe.co.uk/.../calculate_mathematical_statements_for_multiplication_and_division_within_the_multiplication_tables_and_write_them_using_the_multiplication_division_and_equals_signs so some are interpreting it as being able to fill in the blanks.

The second one ("Use place value ...") seems to me to refer to aplying an understanding of place value (and number facts), so for me at first glance it would be if 4+2=6, what is 14+2?

The requisite knowledge being an understanding of place value. I'd suggest base-ten (dienes) aparatus for that.

And similar but based on known number facts (e.g. number bonds to ten).

On the other hand NCTEM's activity for it offers two, two step multiplications along these lines

"Harry had 6 bundles of10 straws and 7 single straws. How many straws did he have altogether?"

One instance of making an amount with the fewest coins possible, and one of stating how many of each coin a child has and asking how much they have in total.

So their interpretation seems to focus on multi-step operation problems. Again mathsframe offers similar activities as connected to said objective.