1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Help with negotiating package should I ask

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by amlolex50, Feb 7, 2019.

1. amlolex50

amlolex50 New commenter

I have received an offer from a school in Dubai with okay salary, good accommodation but 100% education for one child and 75% for second. I need 100% for both should ask for it because it is very significant

2. gilderbeast2000

gilderbeast2000 New commenter

Yes. Its normal to be offered 100% tuition fees for up to two children. The fact that they dont would make me seriously reconsider any offer even if they turn around and do offer it to you. Good Luck.

ejclibrarian likes this.
  3. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

There is no such thing as normal.
    There is a wide range of packages and one must look at the total package to decide how well it works, or doesn’t, on a personal level.
    It’s best to avoid making a sweeping judgement about a school based on any single factor.

Mr_Frosty likes this.
  4. gulfgolf

As for whether you should ask... you can try, but it probably won't work. Schools generally have pretty firm guidelines on this sort of thing

5. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

What is "normal" for a package in the ME might be quite unusual in Europe. For example, an accommodation allowance or an apartment are par for the course in the ME, but quite rare in Western Europe (you might have more luck in the East). A few years ago, cheapie schools in Qatar offered only a discount on the fees and now this appears to be becoming the rule, even for the better schools.

Yes, I would tend to agree with gulfgolf that most schools do indeed have guidelines and yes, they do not want to bend them or stretch them. However, you might find that these guidelines are a bit more flexible - maybe completely elastic - if you just happen to be a Physics (or maybe a Chemistry) teacher.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  6. february31st

february31st Established commenter

You can try to negotiate but be prepared to walk, Dubai is very competitive for jobs.

7. norwichred

norwichred Occasional commenter

We have been negotiating a package in another Middle Eastern country and they were surprisingly flexible on some things but interesting school fees discount wasn’t one of them.

They wanted my partner to teach there too so offered the pretty standard increase if both spouses worked in the school. But otherwise no movement on that.

8. amlolex50

amlolex50 New commenter

I will ask to see if I can get. It's not more pay so I think I will come across as selfish or money loving

9. lou1990lou

lou1990lou New commenter

Is this is the only thing putting you off the school?
    And do you actually NEED it to be 100%?
    On the money you earn in Dubai can you really not afford the 25% fees your child? Have you taken into account the things you are already getting paid for you (apartment, taxes, yearly flights etc.) which would effectively be money in your hand and could be going to this 25%?

What I mean by the last question is have you actually sat down and crunched the numbers? A spreadsheet can be a wonderful thing and helped me to put some things (not even just more and expenditure) into perspective which then also really helped my decision making process in the last week!

P.s. Still ask but be prepared to not be happy with the answer and have a decision about whether "no" would mean that you wouldn't work there.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  10. february31st

february31st Established commenter

The 25% charge for one child does seem a jobs worth rule and I wonder what other little petty rules they will enforce. Also check the costs of school uniforms, school bus and meals, as these can add up to a significant amount(10GBP/child/day).

But to put things into perspective in China from 1st Jan 2022 you could be charged 30% tax on the value of school fees and accommodation allowance! That will be around 9kGBP/child and 6kGBP rent allowance to be deducted from your salary.

So getting a job in Dubai before the stampede out of China begins may be a wise move.

I have had a couple of interviews just to check the market and even though I teach a Rocking Horse **** shortage subjects, schools in Dubai have been reluctant to negotiate a better deal(for profit rent-a-name organization) . Best I could do was an additional 2000AED increase to the original offer. Another teacher I know at the same school got an additional 1000AED just by asking(none shortage subject), so it is possible to get something extra.

But in Dubai the school with have a list of applicants waiting to take the job on their package.

11. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Im sorry, but 2 free child places is commonplace all over the world. I have seen parents with 3 and 4 childen having free places. You should not have to pay anything. I would walk away and find a school that would cover this for you.

Widen your horizons and see whats out there.

12. gulfgolf

It's common enough, that's true, but it's not the be all and end all. Try France and Spain and other mainstream European countries - you won't get even a single child's tuition. Yet people line up to work there (not that I would).
    My point is you have to use multiple metrics to measure the worth of a package, and of a school.

13. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

As usual, I agree with gulfgolf. Some schools in Europe won't even give your annual flights, never mind two free places for your sprogs.

14. steluta

steluta New commenter

I would also say that 2 free places per teacher is standard in all decent schools. Agree that there are schools which do not offer this, look elsewhere! This is a deal-breaker for me, fully aware that a well-known ME chain does not offer it. Dubai is competitive but also very expensive, do not sell yourself cheap. You will regret it afterwards when you meet teachers from other schools which offer it. Good luck!

dumbbells66 likes this.
  15. steluta

steluta New commenter

By the way in most European countries you will not get sacked and be put on a plane in 24 hours like in other parts of the world. Haven’t heard of many schools in Europe which do not offers school places, again you don’t have to take this kind of offer.

16. 24hours

24hours New commenter

I was under the impression it’s a legal requirement for the school to offer free places in Spain to staff.

We also got two free child places at our school in another southern. European country.

So it’s by no means impossible. I think it’s very much down to the schools discretion and how much the need/want you

17. amlolex50

amlolex50 New commenter

We have asked and the school said now it is the standard package and we thinks it is not too much because it is just under 1000 of of the local currency. They rest of the package is very good and the school is very good

18. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

walk away

19. norwichred

norwichred Occasional commenter

The school fees are just under 1000 of the local currency? Per year?

20. amlolex50

amlolex50 New commenter

Actually no per month, per year its just above 7000