1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

help with my science observation

Discussion in 'Primary' started by missh27, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Hi, I am an NQT, next week I am being observed by my mentor for my science lesson.
    Science is my weakest subject, and thats why I am being observed on it.

But i want a good observation, I am in year 5, we are doing forces.
    My lesson is going to be on newtonmetres and carrying out an investigation on if objects weigh differently on water and air.
    I was wondering (hoping) if anyone could suggest any ideas/resources that would help me, or make a good science lesson.

Miss H

2. Hi there. Not that long since I was an NQT and know whats its like when you're not too confident in a particular subject. I still feel like that with P.E. ! I have a science plan I can email to you if you like. I used it as revision with my year 6's this year but it is quite practical so should be quite good for your observation. Obviously you will need to adapt it to suit your children and what they already know etc. Just inbox me if you would like it.

3. message sent, thanks

4. thanks ill have a look now
    Miss H

5. ok so here is my lesson plan

start with having a balloon in water, get pupils to push down on the balloon to feel the upthrust
    Create a forces diagram to show this
    Have a stone on an elastic band, hang it off a newtonmeter and take a reading, then take predictions as to what will happen when it is put in water
    take a reading of the newtonmeter when the stone is in water
    main task - pupils to take newtonmeter readings of objects in air and water and record the different readings in a table (LA pupils to have a table stuck in their books.
    HA pupils to display the results in a graph and attempt to explain why the readings are different in air and water.
    plenary - create a forces diagram to show what has happened to the objects in water

I would be grateful if people could let me know what they think

thanks

Miss H

6. It's good but I would say that when I gave you it!

7. haha hope you don;t mind

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Sounds good, make sure you have a range of objects that won't be ruined by being put in water.

9. thats what i need to think of
    scissors, glue sticks (as they are all empty except one of them)
    try to find plastacine (maybe)
    not sure what else yet

any suggestions?

10. Don't mind at all. You have to share in this profession :)

My kids did ruler, scissors, glue, some had a waterproof pencil case, shells, plastic balls, brick, plastic toys. One group tried a chair. With larger objects discussed how test wasn't fair as not all of object was submerged......but could see still weighed less.

Good luck! Let me know how it goes

11. ah yeh, we have lego in the class and the learning mentor has some games so i may see if he has counters

(running short on objects as in two and a half weeks our building has to be packed up and we have to be out of it and we are moving into a new building in september - so lots of our science equipment (and everything else) is packe, luckily i put the newtonmeters in my room a few weeks ago!!

12. Just a thought but what about trying a couple of random unexpected obects to suprise the children and your mentor. I'm in Year 5 and was an NQT last year, I was observed doing a lesson on Sound and used my mobile phone (well wrapped in plastic) to submerge then ring to test how sound travelled underwater.
    My mentor was really positive about doing something a bit different as they said it showed originality and creativity. .

13. any suggestions?
    [/quote]