1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

help with my controlled assessment spreadsheet (AQA) GRADE BOUNDARIES!!!!

Discussion in 'English' started by fluffykat_9, Oct 18, 2010.

1. I have just put this in the resources section a few moments ago. Hope you find it useful!

2. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Hello, I looked all over resources but couldn't find it. Could you direct me or send it to me? Thanks
    jshea1571@aol.com

3. Elphaba

Elphaba New commenter

The link just leads you back to this page.

4. genthepen

genthepen New commenter

Really intersting thread leading to this and sounds like you have been a great help to many.
    One point I notice from your spreadsheet is that your target grades are one or two grades below FFT. Is this the result you achieve at end of year 11 or is it a target grade for early year 10? What do other teachers do too re comparison with FFT?

5. EmmaBB

EmmaBB New commenter

Fluffy Kat, not sure if you'll get this but do you have the boundaries you used for the spreadsheet? I've spent ages with the Deputy Head today working it out from the UMS grade boundaries but we've ended up with the whole of Band 1 for Lit being a U, and 2/3 of Band 1 for S&L being a U!

Would appreciate any calculations if you still have them to hand

zoebrunning@gmail.com

6. It works out, that for any of the assessments, that 90% is an A, 80% is a B, 70% being a C and so on. This linked in with the information in the blue AQA booklet, where they had sample marked responses where it discussed 70% of the Uniform marks being a C. These are only indicators though, as AQA stress that we should be using bands! We won't know anything until the first cohort goes through.
    If you click on the cell where it tells you the grade, the formula at the top tells you the marks you need to get for each grade. I can be more specific tomorrow whn I get back into work. as I have all of the claculations in my desk.

To the previous post, we do use the FFT D grades to help set our target grades, but I modified them for my class based on what I think they will actually achieve, knowing their ability. The ones submitted to LT are targets that will challenge, but in my view, are not realistic.

7. Hi Fluffycat
    as someone else wrestling with the terrors of AQA -no boundaries challenge-
    could you please send me a copy of your spreasheet? Thanks
    dfoley@williamhoward.cumbria.sch.uk

8. dfoley

If you look at post 45 above, I have posted a link to where I have placed on the resourrces section.

Fluffykat

9. mkm

mkm New commenter

Anyone still using this? Is it still relatively accurate in terms of conversion? Just wondered.

10. cherryaimless

cherryaimless New commenter

Head Teachers generally haven't done any marking recently, so are mostly unaware of how everything pieces together! I certainly wouldn't bother trying to numerically work out bands/marks to grades in a speadsheet. I will generalise and may tell a student he or she is "hovering round about a wobbly C". Parents and pupils seem to understand that kind of simplistic language. It tends to translate into "Step it up a gear, mate!"