1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

help with my controlled assessment spreadsheet (AQA) GRADE BOUNDARIES!!!!

Discussion in 'English' started by fluffykat_9, Oct 18, 2010.

1. regentsreject

regentsreject Occasional commenter

There need to be separate forms because of the unitary nature of the spec ie to allow centres who so wish to enter the different units at different times. If you are doing a linear course I can see how you might find this being frustrating and seen as excessive paperwork, but this is the reason for it.

2. Sorry for the delay in replying, I will e-mail the spreadsheet tomorrow when I get back into school. Never thought of doing a mail merge! I am now going to have to teach myself how to do that, so would love you to send me an updated version once you have tinkered with it!!!

fluffykat_9

3. Will do. The mail merge is a bit like a Vulcan mind meld but more useful in administrative tasks and easy once you've been shown once by the IT teacher.

4. I appreciate all the arguments against reporting grades and believe in the skills based curriculum in order to make our students truly literate and functional, however unless they scrap National Challenge etc we will always be reporting in grades and be held account for progress. If it isn't grades then it is 2/3 levels of progress so whether its a grade, band or level in certain schools we will always be dragged over the coals.
    Fluffy cat I'd really appreciate a look at your spreadsheet if possible.
    readingsez78@hotmail.co.uk
    Cheers

5. readingsez, tophut and pinkruby - you have mail. I have just given you a sample page, each class in the year group has their own particular page where the staff enter the data and I can monitor. Hope it helps, let me know what you think - any feedback would be appreciated. I am currently using the same format to track pupil APP in KS3

fluffykat_9

6. Thanks - have been enjoying playing with the spreadsheet Fluffycat. Then I worked backwards through this thread and found out that you have used the uniform marks boundaries. Then I read up on uniform marks and found this booklet:
    http://web.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_ums.php

Have a look at p8 and p9 - It shows how different from the uniform marks the raw marks can be as percentages of the total raw marks (due to things like the cap - I'm only finding out about this as I go along. ) In the data example given, candidates on the higher tier only had to score 28 out of 45 marks on the actual task to get A*. This was then converted to 90% uniform marks. I'm a bit worried that our raw marks could be equally as distorted.
    Working from the percentages, with C being 60% - 70% (uniform), for Language unit 3a, marked out of 30, the pupils would need to get 18 (the highest mark in band 3, which spans 6 marks) to scrape a C, and 20 in Band 4 to get a top C, requiring either "confident and developed interpretations" (surely a B grade descriptor?), "engagement with writer's ideas including perceptive interpretations and precise textual detail" (sounds better than C) or "analysis of lang/ struc in convincing detail" (same again).
    Now I'm concerned that either the uniform boundaries can't be used to calculate grades from the raw mark scheme (as is to be expected having read that booklet), OR C grade pupils have to do some pretty challenging stuff.
    What do people think? (I know what you think Regentsreject - are you an AQA mole by the way? [​IMG])

7. regentsreject

If I told you that, I'd have to kill you.

8. I think you're right, tophut, but for this year, it may be as good as we can get. We need something that we can apply consistently to convert a number into a grade to report an attainment grade this term. Once we 've done a few assessments, we might be able to adjust the figures so that the grades look more accurate. For us, it's about consistency and evidence so if a few C grade students are labelled as D this term but they all are and the marks back it up, I think it'll be OK. We just need to make sure that if, by Easter, say, they have a C grade folder, the numbers match. At this point, I'm happy with anything that fits the data requirements.

9. I have just read the blue Controlled assessment standardisation material that waas delivered to school yesterday, it also had a section about the raw and uniform marks that roughly worked out a Grade C being at 60% and a B at 70%, I agree that with PinkRuby that we may just have to go with this for now until we have a better grasp on things -especially until the end of the year at least before they release the first grades!

Fluffykat_9

10. I spent over an hour yesterday trying to explain to the Powers that Be in my place why we can't just allocate a grade in the same way as we do with our current Year 11s. My favourite response was 'that's ridiculous, contact AQA and tell them you must have grade boundaries.' Somehow I don't think that would have much of an impact.
    My Controlled Assessment standardisation meeting isn't until mid Ddecemebr so would be interested to hear how everyone else gets on before then.

Fluffy Kat, please could I have a copy of your spreadsheet in an attempt to placate my line manager.
    leslieste@gmail.com

11. regentsreject

Angus, tell your esteemed powers that be that this is a QCDA decision and AQA have no power to change it or to give grade boundaries.

12. Thanks for the feedback Tophut! I have sorted out the glitch on the formula ;)

Angus the bull, you have mail, let me know what you think

Fluffykat_9

13. No sign of it yet Fluffy_kat9. Sorry to be a pest but could you try sending it again. Thanks.

leslieste@gmail.com

14. Oh my God - this stuff's going to be the death of me. Apparently our year 10s who are doing early entry Unit 1 exams in January won't get a grade either; just a number which will be converted to a grade eventually once we know how every other child in the country has performed 18 months down the line.
    I need a drink! [​IMG]

15. I have just re-sent it, must have mis-typed your email address. let me know what you think of it.

fluffykat_9

16. Sorry to be a pain...but could I also be forwarded a copy of your spreadsheet?
    Thanks!
    lewiss_english@hotmail.co.uk

17. Lewiss, you have mail.

Would it be worth putting this onto the resource section, do you think enough people would utilise it to warrant me putting it on there? I am happy to, if I thought enough people would want it.

Fluffykat_9

18. Elphaba

Elphaba New commenter

Hi Fluffykat_9,
    Could I also have a copy of yur spreadsheet, it will save me a lot of time.
    a.sunshine@hotmail.co.uk
    Regards.

19. Could I also grab a copy of that spreadsheet, please? ljsargeant@me.com

20. Normal

false
    false
    false

EN-US
    X-NONE
    X-NONE

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

/* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable

Hi,

Is there any chance I could be forwarded a copy of the spreadsheet?
    I'm having loads of trouble getting me head around this and would really
    appreciate some guidance.

Thanks

djboyd22@yahoo.com